Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young Dawg (Member)

Question Are Pyrs swimmers?

We live in Indiana and love to boat and go to my sister's lake cottage for long weekends all summer long. We are looking forward to taking our Baby Zoe along with us. The way she loves her baths and drinking in general, I would guess she'll like walks along the beach and an occasional dip in the lake with us. What is anyone's experience with Pyrs in water?

Young Dawg (Member)

Default swimmers

cole is a great swimmer but that has not translated to a love of swimming. It really depends on the dog on whether or not they like to swim. I do however highly recomend getting a doggie life jacket if you plan on having him on a boat. prys are not known to have a huge reserve of energy having a slow matabalism and all so just a few minutes in the water without assistance could prove too strenous and result in drowning. the life jacket will assist in case he jumps in or falls overboard.

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks for your input! Yes, we were planning on getting her a good life jacket, with the handle on top so we can haul her into the boat if climbing on board the back deck proves too strenuous! Everything is an adventure with this Big Baby Dog!

Puppy (New Member)

My pyr LOVES the water. I took her to my parents lake house last summer thinking she would just sit on the dock - she spent most of her time running in and out of the water from the shore! She was about 6 mos. at that time. She now has her own pool (small blue plastic variety) that she spends countless hours jumping in and out of during the summer. I did try to get her to swim away from shore with me and she preferred to keep her feet on the bottom though she would stand chin deep. So as far as actual swimming goes, that may have required more energy than she wanted to use. Hopefully your water trips will be a fun occasion for everyone. Ours are!

Flock Guardian (Moderator)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

fluffylove`s Photos

Default I think it depends...

My pyr hates the water. He drinks out of a river, then jumps over the river if he can as to not get his paws wet. When it's really hot, he'll go in until his elbows. I got him in the water once, had to carry him in, he swam like crazy to the shore. Fantastic swimmer, but does not like it one bit. Meanwhile, my friend, (his girl friend) loves the water. She started liking it after spending an entire weekend at a cottage and her owner was in the water all the time, by the end of the weekend, she loved the water. Now, she goes in for a dip, while mine jumps over water not to get his feet mucky.

My Pry, Sheila will go around puddles when her feet are dry but goes through them when her feet are wet. The first small creek she just walked in but a large river with small waves or the ocean she avoided at first. Now she seems to like walking in 4-5 inches of water. She will go in to just touching her chest and sit down when she is hot. She never goes in deep enough to swim but loves to run in and back out of water. At home with a small wading pool she will not get her feet wet even when it is hot. I put a treat in the pool and she finally put one paw in so she could reach it but kept the other paw up and dry. Some times she loves water and other times acts like a cat. She does not like baths but will step into the tub and usually stay in but will not take a treat until she is sure the bath is done.

Young Dawg (Member)

Talking

The answer to my own question is Zoe loves the water. Wading, fetching, running, shaking. She usually isn't too keen about swimming at first, but once she is all wet, she just heads out to where the kids are playing in the lake and swims around them. She always have her life vest on, so I guess it isn't extremely strenuous for her. We are so happy she likes the boating life so that is another activity our family can share with our polar baby.

Puppy (New Member)

My three-year-old male, Strider, loves to get into streams and rivers and can swim but prefers only to splash around up to about his chest. Keep in mind the dryness of a Pyr's coat--when it gets wet, it absorbs a lot of weight. I figure that Strider gains at least 20 pounds when he's soaked (you try swimming with that much extra weight). Labs and the other retrievers as well as Newfies enjoy oil in their coats that not only keeps the weight off, it might adds a hint of buoyancy.

Puppy (New Member)

Smile One Stryder to another Strider

Hi

My name is len and I just adopted a 3 year old male whowas the runt of the litter. I got because they raise show dogs and I under stand that he is to small. I am not ssure if I measured him right but he is eaither 25" or 27" and when they had him at the vet last he weighed 75lbs. If you good tell me the size of your stider and weight it would give a good idea for to compare. I have had no problems with him in the house or out side. he is great on a leash the only problem I had was he was raised on raw food and wouldn't eat kibble so I had to fine a supplier of raw food he loss some weight when on kibble but is starting get it back on the raw food .

Len

P.S dose not like the water at all

The Big Dawg (Administrator) risestar's Avatar

risestar`s Photos

hi len,

measurement is from the ground to the top of the back near the hind quarter

most males average anywhere from 27" to 32", with smaller than that being a fault as well as larger

my male is 31" but that comes from his grandfather who was 33"