Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Kathy O.`s Photos

Default I am puzzled with my pyr's behavior

Hello, I adopted a 1.5 year old dog which looks like a pure bred Pyrenees on Aug. 28 from an animal shelter. She is extremely aggressive in play and she makes everything a playful game. I had a 6 ft. privacy fence installed about 6 weeks ago and before that I was walking her about a mile per day divided into two, half mile walks. I felt like she would be tired when we returned home and settle down, but instead she is almost knocking me down in play and grabbing everything in sight and running away with it after a walk. It is the same when I let her out in the backyard. When she comes in she jumps on me and grabs shoes or whatever and runs away with them. She loves it when I follow here to retrieve the items. I try to keep all my shoes and other items put away but I cannot hide everything in my house and she is so tall that she can reach lots of items. If I tell her no in a deep firm tone she ignores me. Only when I raise my voice and use the firm tone does she settle down and that usually takes several tries. Walking her is unpleasant because she pulls very hard on the lead. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't understand why she is more rambunctious after a walk or other exercise than she was before we went! Also, she is digging holes in the backyard which I refill with dirt and she digs out again. When I go out to scold her she takes off running like the wind (it is really beautiful to see) and she makes a playful huffing noise and then she will run toward me full speed ahead. I have started taking a broom out to hold in front of me because when she makes contact that does not feel good.

Road Dawg

She sounds like a healthy and happy dog to me. Maybe she just got excited and ecstatic with all these new things she gets to do.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos