Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Recommended Joint Supplements

Hi! Brand new member here, soon to be owner of an 8 week old male Great Pyr puppy. I've been trying to do my research so as to provide the best care I possibly can, and one area I'm having trouble with is joints. I know pyrs tend to be prone to hip dysplasia and other joint issues like most large breeds, and I was wondering if/when I should start giving him joint supplements, and if supplements like that are even necessary or effective in the first place, as well as which ones more experienced pyr owners would recommend. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

I use Cosequin. It is pretty popular. Dasequin is another popular brand. I started mine on joint supplements when he turned 3. My dude goes jogging with me 5 days a week (2-4 miles) and he also trains and competes in agility. The thing about joint supplements is that it isn't effective for every dog. But because these days most of us just put the dog on supplements before anything happens, for many of us it is difficult to say for sure whether it is working or not. But for sure some people who started supplements after issues have surfaced have had good results.

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Dasuquin soft chews is also a good one.

Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Dasuquin keeps them strong and playful. Never gets tired to run and fetch and go for long walks.