Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default How to Catch Weight Up

Hi Everyone!

First-time Pyr owner here. I just adopted a 15 week old male pup from a shelter. The story is that he and his littermates were rescued from a breeder that was neglecting them. When the shelter got the pups (about two weeks ago), they were all very skinny and malnourished. After a week of letting them eat whenever and however much they wanted, the pups gained weight and started to grow.

My pup was the smallest of the litter, weighing in at 20 pounds. I know this is crazy small for a Pyr pup at 15 weeks. In the week that we've had him, our vet ran a stool sample and found he had coccidia and giardia. We started him on medication for both and he's improved SO MUCH. His coat is brighter and getting longer, and his belly isn't as huge anymore.

So now that he's doing ok, I am wondering if I need to start feeding him the way the shelter did - Just whenever he wants and as much as he wants, so that he can start to catch up to where he should be. Is it too late for him to catch up at this point? Is this a good idea? He's not emaciated or anything like that, but you can still see his ribs a little and he's scrawny. Ideas?

BTW, feeding time is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He usually eats the most at dinner which is around 2 cups. At breakfast and lunch he's more interested in playing than eating. We're giving him Blue Buffalo puppy food, but will switch if there's something better.

Jewel`s Photos

Are you offering him 2 cups a day 3 times a day, meaning he's offered 6 cups a day? If so, you are offering him quite enough food to grow. Just make sure the puppy food is for large breed puppies. That is very important.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about his catching up to the size his genes say his supposed to. So long as they are fed a good quality food, they will grow. For a giant breed puppy, you want to keep them on the thinner side. Chunky monkey is cute, but not good for their joints. They grow so fast in the first year that you want to avoid stressing the joints with extra layers of flesh. People put way too much emphasis on how much a puppy weighs, as if it's a competition to have the highest number. All that does is people end up with a bunch of obese puppies and then obese adults.

Puppy (New Member)

[QUOTE=Jewel;108752]Are you offering him 2 cups a day 3 times a day, meaning he's offered 6 cups a day? If so, you are offering him quite enough food to grow. Just make sure the puppy food is for large breed puppies. That is very important.

Yes, 2 cups of food 3 times a day is what we offer, But I would say that at the moment he’s eating more like 3 cups a day. What I have right now is not specifically for large breed. But I plan to switch as soon as I can. Do you have a brand that you like? My vet said Purina or Science Diet would be fine.

Jewel`s Photos

Ok, so, I actually never fed puppy food. What large breed puppy formula does is to ensure the correct calcium/phosphorous content and ratio for large breed pups. These days many all life stage formula foods also have the correct ratio. I just made sure the food I picked has the right amount. When my guy came to me he was eating the Costco Kirkland brand chicken and rice formula. It does have the right calcium/phosphourous content. I fed him that for a couple of months until he got tired of it. What you are looking for is calcium no higher than 1.5%. Whatever the calcium percentage is, the phosphorus should be a tad lower for a 1.2 to 1 ratio.

Road Dawg

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

May I know what you are feeding him now?