Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Exclamation Dry patchy skin leading to large hair loss

Hi everyone, so my pup Alaska is about 3 now and weve been told that he has severe allergies which leads to skin issues and ear infections constantly. As of a few weeks ago he started loosing TONS of hair (we all know they typically shed like crazy&#128514 but he was loosing 10-20 clumps of hair with dry patches of skin attached everyday and when I started to brush him I would go through his fur once and the brush was completely full. I have a vet appointment for Friday to maybe get him on some meds. His skin is red and irritated now and everything online I am seeing is telling me to add fish or fish oil to his diet but hes in pain and itchy now, what can I do to ease the dry burning skin?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	10462  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

My goodness, the poor fellow. When my goldens got hot spots, which is not what your dog has, they itched and I found that gold bond power heled with the itching. However, it dried the oozing hot spot and your baby's skin is dry. So that might not work. Benadryl can help with itching also. I give 1 cap for every 25 pounds, but I do stop t 3 tables.

It is possible the allergy is food reaction. Many times they are allergic to corn or whet or chicken. Also I have found that coconut oil is great for skin, coat, heart, etc. I gie my 95 pound Princess Jewel a tablespoon of it in her food every day. I wish I could be of more help, and I wish you sweet boy all the best and hope you get things under control soon. I had a golden that was allergic to live oak and pine pollen--and we are surrounded by both.
    Jerry and Moose