Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default my great pyr puppy wont walk away from my house

Hi guys, so i had my 4 month old Pyrenees puppy for a week now, she is my first Pyrenees. she's super sweet, she often like to stay in my room and she is getting use to other rooms. She gets bored with the toys within 5 min, not food motivated and sleep almost 18 hours a day. one thing that i really worry about is that she refuse to walk too far away from my house. I do have an empty field that is full of dirt and that's where she usually potty. every time after she's done with her potty she just sits outside of my house or even just lay down sometimes. she refuse to go back home or keep walking somewhere else. I tried to look it up online and some are saying that she's just bored, I been trying to take her to a park that is 2 minuets away but no success. I don't want to pull her to the park or pick her up because I am afraid of that she needs me to pick her up every time she's crossing the road.
    she does potty in the house sometimes, for that I been using potty pads and odor removers. Most of the time she just looks like she doesn't want to go outside, I really do want to go to new places for her and enjoy my time with her but I don't know what to do if she get out the house and sit right outside.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sebastian went through a similar stage when I first brought him home. I was living in a busy, urban part of Dallas, and the very first time I took him to go potty, someone dropped the ramp on a nearby moving truck, making a terrible noise that spooked him. He ran straight into a holly bush. My neighbor had to help me get him out.
    It took weeks for me to get him to understand that going outside was fun. Of course, if Iíd known some of the things then that I know now, it might not have taken so long.
    Sebastianís food motivation is highly dependent on what kind of food I happen to be offering. He would rather starve than work for kibbles, but he can be tempted by more high-value treats. I found with him that FreshPet nuggets, the refrigerated food found in some grocery stores, works well for him as an every day training treat. If I need more cooperation, I turn to higher-value treats - cheese, hot dog slices, or BBQ brisket (no sauce, just the stinky smoked meat), which happens to be the holy grail at our house.
    My guess is that she isnít so much bored as she is intimidated by all of the new sights and smells. Sheís still very much a tiny baby puppy - think preschool-aged human child. Once she learns to associate outside with really fun things, and learns that you are there to protect her, my guess is that she will come out of her shell a bit.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Default Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    Sebastian went through a similar stage when I first brought him home. I was living in a busy, urban part of Dallas, and the very first time I took him to go potty, someone dropped the ramp on a nearby moving truck, making a terrible noise that spooked him. He ran straight into a holly bush. My neighbor had to help me get him out.
    It took weeks for me to get him to understand that going outside was fun. Of course, if Iíd known some of the things then that I know now, it might not have taken so long.
    Sebastianís food motivation is highly dependent on what kind of food I happen to be offering. He would rather starve than work for kibbles, but he can be tempted by more high-value treats. I found with him that FreshPet nuggets, the refrigerated food found in some grocery stores, works well for him as an every day training treat. If I need more cooperation, I turn to higher-value treats - cheese, hot dog slices, or BBQ brisket (no sauce, just the stinky smoked meat), which happens to be the holy grail at our house.
    My guess is that she isnít so much bored as she is intimidated by all of the new sights and smells. Sheís still very much a tiny baby puppy - think preschool-aged human child. Once she learns to associate outside with really fun things, and learns that you are there to protect her, my guess is that she will come out of her shell a bit.
    Thank you for helping me out, that actually make sense. I did notice recently that every time a loud car drive by she would dash back to the door. shes better with food and treats now, every time she see me with treat bag she would get really excited. She still doesn't want to leave the field area but i realized that she just doesn't want to come back home. seeing someone who had a similar problem and showing me how to get thru really gives me motivation, Thanks.