Current Great Pyrenees Owner

ericPA`s Photos

Default Won't poop outside

In January, we adopted a Great Pyr mix (also 20% Rottweiler and 10% Border Collie) from a rescue who brought him from Arkansas. He was about 2 months old at the time. Now, he's 8 months old. He's been going outside regularly but won't poop outside. We take him out at least 2-3 times a day. He will pee 10 times during a walk, but won't poop. Within 5 minutes being back in the house, he'll be pooping on my carpet. Ever since we got him, he holds his pee all night. After he eats at night, doesn't pee until next morning. He has pooped outside 3 times total, probably because he couldn't hold it any more.

Any suggestions? TIA

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

at 8 months old, you're going to have a challenge on your hands... Pyrs are very much "creatures of habit"...

what I did: bought some of those "potty bells" (a couple of bells on a nylon ribbon) & hung them on the back door. When my Wiley would start circling (his "poopy dance"), I'd immediately pick him up & run for the back door... ring the bells... say "OUTSIDE"... and take him out til he pooped. Then I'd praise him HEAVILY, and give him a treat. I guess the idea is for the pup to associate pooping outside with something positive (a treat). I had Wiley mostly house-broken in a few weeks, but it required constant, around-the-clock vigilance... As I said, since your pup is older, it could be more of a challenge. But that's what worked for me, anyways... GOOD LUCK!

ericPA`s Photos

Update....He started pooping outside pretty regularly about a month ago. About 80% of the time we go out he poops.