Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Still mouthing at 14 months

Hi,

Our big boy is still mouthing at 14 months. I've read every book I can, tried all the techniques - leaving the room, giving appropriate substitutes, vinegar on my hands.

Is this just him being a teenage jerk? He's hurt all of us in the family with the mouthing. It's not aggressive biting. It's more mouth wide open and then moving towards our hands.

My poor husband's hands are always bloody.

Any advice?

Thank you!!!

Hi! It sounds as if you’re doing all the right things and I’m so sorry this is happening. I feel certain you’ve tried this, but when Stella grabs our hands, we cross our arms (removing the hands) and tell her “No bite”. If she persists, one of us will give the sit command, then paw command, in rapid succession, and reward her for positive compliance. The commands seem to “reset” her. I hope the situation improves. It’s very stressful, I know.

Jewel`s Photos

At 14 months, this type of behavior is partly just teenage immaturity but also often due to excess energy so the dog is looking for interactive play. Does he have a canine playmate? If not how is he exercised? He needs both physical energy outlet as well as mental energy outlet. Obedience classes helps if they are now available in your area. Is he treat motivated? If so, he would benefit from learning commands and tricks so that he's getting interaction in a different way, your way.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you both for your replies!

I don't think it's due to excess energy. He and I walk for about and hour in the morning and and hour in the evening - so usually going about 6 miles a day. And the walks are always different - I try to keep them varied and we almost always are able to go in a circle so it's new territory for 95% of the walk. Most days we go to the dog park where he has his pack of friends - and even when it was closed due to shelter in place order his best buddy came to our front yard for play dates. He then has several play sessions with various members of my family. Not to mention how busy he is ushering our cats indoors - much to their disapproval

We work with him on commands and games but could probably do more of that type of activity. He loves his interactive toys where he has to work to get treats.

Jewel`s Photos

If he's fully physically exhausted everyday, the next thing is to figure out what it is he wants with the mouthing. Does it occur at particular times of the day? Same time of the day or different times? Is there a particular pattern to this behavior? It could be that he's just being a teenage jerk, but usually when a dog is fully exercised, they are not nearly as interested to be mischievous and provoke reactions from humans. That leaves he wants something with this behavior.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I’m going to guess that you haven’t read any of my old threads from when Sebastian was an adolescent terror. At one point, I could send him to day care to play with other dogs all day and he would still come home ready for a walk and epic game of “Kill Mommy”. He outgrew the mouthing by the time he turned three, but still loves the occasional “Special Hugs” for his dog-brother and me.

One of the hardest things I had to learn during Sebastian’s puppyhood and adolescence was when to listen to his training instructors and more importantly, when not to. Listening to them insist that I “fix” the Kill Mommy problem served only to frustrate me, which in turn frustrated him and made the whole thing worse.

The single most effective thing I could to to mitigate the Kill Mommy Situation was to sap all the fun out of it by not giving him the reaction he was seeking. I made many a dog trainer gasp by doing this, but unless a dog trainer has ever had personal experience with a high-energy adolescent Pyr, they often have no clue how to deal with one

The less energy you and your family members contribute to the mouthing game, the less fun it will be for Leroy. It may not stop the sessions from happening, but it will lessen them in duration and intensity.

Unfortunately, this isn’t likely to be something you can “train out of them”.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Road Dawg

Perhaps you’ve tried this too?

We played the “sweet kisses” game with Artemis when she would destroy our hands and arms (always in play, non aggressive). My daughter and I would sit down with her with a bit of peanut butter smeared on our hands. We’d let her lick and say gently “sweet kisses.” At first she’d QUICKLY escalate to mouthing, and we’d calmly but firmly retract our hands. The MOMENT she backed off we’d resume delicious sweet kisses. As long as the sweet touches and licks persisted, she got yummy PB! And as soon as she mouthed it stopped. She pretty quickly figured it out. To this day “sweet kisses” prompts her to calm down, coming in especially handy when she gets overly excited with the puppy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F794B5AE-6688-4F1E-B559-83EB3C18FA0A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	10448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	304816F0-51DF-4865-B291-9A0FB0E11BE1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	10449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C58206A5-A137-4522-90DF-68B1A3679ADF.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	10450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5237E008-6098-4BAE-97DD-8615028F15CB.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	10451

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks to you all. I'll make sure to incorporate all of the tips.

And yes, I had read about Sebastian and his Kill Mommy game. I always thought he and Leroy were somehow related

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

The good news it that this, too, shall pass. The bad news it that it may take a bit more time than you had hoped.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

My 19 month old Yoki is mouthy but not to the extent of breaking skin or bloodshed. His thing is when he thinks it should be playtime, he'll come grab me or my daughter by the arm and attempt to drag us to where we can chase him (his favorite game). He doesn't have canine friends so we make sure he's getting enough exercise.