Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Post Spay Vomiting / Sensitive Systems Puppy Food Needed

Q: Hello! Can anyone please recommend a sensitive systems, grain inclusive, large breed puppy food? Stella is a female, 7 months, 55 lbs.

Hx: Stella was spayed 3 weeks ago. Since then, she has begun vomiting almost daily. She was treated for vaginitis with Clavamox. X-rays/ultrasound show gas and bloating but no blockages or uterine stump issues. Blood and liver panels are normal. Stella can retain chicken and rice but not her kibble, currently Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy.

Thank you for any suggestions!
    Kim C.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry your sweet girl is having these issues. My Sebastian has had digestive issues off and on his whole life and did not do well on Blue Buffalo. The puppy food that seems to have worked the best for him was the Holistic Select Large and Giant Breed Puppy Formula. Keep in mind, though, that every dog is different. If I remember correctly, it was comparably priced to BB.

Sebastian has had several episodes where his small intestine stops contracting and fills up with gas. My vet now has me keep a medication called Cerenia on hand for these episodes. Cerenia is an anti-vomiting medication that works by stimulating the stomach and intestines to contract, thus helping food through the digestive system. It may be worth talking to your vet to see if that is something that s/he thinks would be good for you to have on hand.

I hope your sweet girl is feeling much much better soon
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Hello! Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will add that food to our list. We are now trying Purina Pro Plan Probiotic Puppy. The vet also suggested a Royal Canin food and a Hills food. She didnít have yours on her list, so Iíll ask her about it because I like that itís large breed specific. We have one tablet of Cerenia left and itís good to know that med can be used down the road if needed. I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to give feedback and hope Sebastian is well!

Road Dawg

Arti has always had a sensitive tummy. We tried multiple foods, multiple vet visits and she now does well most of the time with Royal Canin digestive care/sensitive stomach and I also give her the Purina ProPlus probiotic supplement packet daily. The only treats she tolerates are Buddy Biscuits - sadly no more bully sticks or some of the other treats she used to love. Since getting her on this regimen her appetite is much better, coat is so silky and soft and her energy is much perkier - stools are well formed. She will occasionally still have a vomiting or diarrheal episode but less common. Good luck!

Thank you! We now are on Purina Pro Plan Plus with probiotics for puppies and elevated bowls (I've seen conflicting research on elevated bowls, but Stella is keeping her food down). Royal Canin was also suggested. I appreciate the feedback!