Thread: Just too smart

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

fdcarver`s Photos

Default Just too smart

we got our great Pyrenees puppy a month ago and she has got to be the smartest pup i have ever had .
    after 2 days she is house broken (mainly of her own doing)
    took her about 3 to 4 hours of learning to fetch and about 30 minutes to sit
    a little back story on her
    we lost our Australian shepherd back in dec of last year to health reasons (he was 13 )
    so i decided it was time to get another pet so i responded to an add and we went and looked at the pups and they were kept in a chicken coup (if i could have i would have taken all 7 home but could not )
    anyway ends up she had mange she is now mange free and has had her shots (but the vet told us when we took her in that she was only 5 to 6 weeks old and that was about a week and a half after we got her . but they were eating reg food
    she is just too smart for her own good i have never had a puppy this smart this fast
    anyway my question is the Great Pyrenees breed usually this smart at such a young age ?

Jewel`s Photos

Congratulations on your new puppy!

Well, not all pyr pups are like yours. This is n independent breed and it isn't uncommon for them to learn things at their own pace. Having said that, it is also not uncommon for some pyr pups to pick up commands quick -- but only to suddenly become "deaf" when they hit teenage period.

My guy played fetch a lot more when he was young. He still does but not as much, and only on his terms.

Puppy (New Member)

fdcarver`s Photos

will keep this in mind as time passes
    thanks for your reply