Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New member question

I have had dogs all my life, but we are fairly new to the Pyrenees breed. We have had "Bear" for about a year and a half, and "Daisy" for about the same. They are excellent guardians for our Nubians, and for our 7 kids. We couldn't be more pleased with their protective instincts.

I have a question for those who have more experience with the breed. Our dogs are not registered and are not for show. They are guardians over our little farm. Both dogs are "pure bred" with double dew claws. Bear and Daisy produced a litter of 8 puppies just yesterday. These puppies will be raised around our livestock and will go to good homes for working purposes only. Here's the thing. I was under the impression that all Great Pyrenees dogs have double dew claws on their rear legs. Both parents have them, and 6 of the puppies have them...but two of them only have single dew claws on their hind legs. I realize this is a fault for a show dog, but that is not our concern. In your experience, have you seen any Pyrenees puppies born with only single dew claws on the hind legs? Should this cause me to refrain from referring to them as "pure" Pyrenees? I have no doubt they will follow in their parents' foot.....paw...steps and become excellent guardians, but I am just curious about this matter. Thank you for responding.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

While purebred pyrs may be born without the double dews, the fact that 25% of the puppies from a litter are without double dews suggests one or both of the parents may have been crossed with another breed somewhere along the line. There are other breeds of LGDs that look very much like the pyr but do not have double dews. Maremmas for one, and akbash the other. It isn't at all uncommon for working dogs to be mixes of different LGD breeds.

If the parents aren't registered and thus you have no idea of their lineage, there is no way to confirm that they are in fact purebred pyrs. I would be honest and tell the people wanting the pups that they might have another breed, likely another LGD breed, somewhere in the bloodline. If the parents are good working dogs, for someone looking for a working dog, that should be more important than whether the puppy is a purebred great pyrenees.