Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Did the breeder lie about my puppy?

Hi everyone!

After much planning and longing on my part, my husband bought me a Great Pyrenees puppy for Motherís Day. The breeder said that the puppies were born 03/27/2020. After getting her, I noticed that she lacked double dew claws - which I understand is not a definitive indication that she is not a full blood Great Pyrenees. She has all the breed characteristics- including that amazing temperament! But she was also quite small. I chalked it up to being 6 weeks (which, I understand is much younger than recommended for leaving her mother - but I felt that if they were going to sell her to someone, at least I knew Iíd give her a good home). Today she got her second round booster and a vet check. She only weight 7.4lbs! I can tell that she has grown since we got her - but thatís still really small. So I am left to believe that either she isnít a full blood Pyr, or she isnít 8 weeks old. She looks more like the pictures of 4-6 week old pyrs to me, but Iím not ruling out that sheís a mix breed.

Does anyone else have any experience with a situation like this? Any idea of her age if she is that size? I need to know if itís safe to put her on the flea pill yet.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

I am sorry I can't be much help in that I have never had a Pyr puppy. We have adopted 3 Pyrs, all seniors. I am more familiar with golden retriever and English setter puppies. HOWEVER, that does seem very small for a Pyr that is suppose to be 8 weeks. My retriever pups and setter pups were heavier than that at 8 weeks. I would have dig hard to find old records, but I think those setter and retriever pups were between 12 an 1 pounds at 8 weeks. Does you ver think you pup is full pyr and 8 weeks? As to flea stuff, your vet can advise you on that.

By the way, I was raised in Whitehouse, just south of Tyler. I understand it is a small city now, but only 610 folks there when I graduated in '63. AND when I was in college I was engaged to a boy from Quitman (Cecil Wayne Clanton) and my cousin married his best friend, David Span. Thy live out of Kilgore now, and I am down on the coast.
    Jerry and Moose

Jewel`s Photos

While 7.4 lbs would be very small for a 7.5 week old purebred pyr puppy, it sometimes can be because a puppy did not get proper nutrition and likely the mother did not get proper nutrition during pregnancy and while nursing. If this is the case, the puppy will catch up in time. But in all honesty, there is just no way for us to tell you if the puppy is the age you are told it is, or whether it is a mix. If you can post a picture or 2 or 3 or 5, we might be able to give you some guesses.