Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default 3 year old Pyr will not gain weight

So I have a 3 year old female Pyrenees that throughout her whole life has always been thin. She's currently about 80lbs which is actually the heaviest she's ever been. I always dismissed her being thin as she's going to fill out as she gets older but with her turning 3, she's not really in the age range where it's normal to be skinny. And for perspective she's very tall for a female, 30 inches at the shoulder, so while 80lbs can be a healthy weight for a lot of female pyr it's not for her. She doesnt ever show any signs of illness, is extremely active and playful. She typically eats 5-9 cups a day half of which being puppy food (I feed Fomm Gold Large breed) and daily I give her other calorie dense foods such as peanut butter and rice. Behavior wise she seems perfectly healthy but I can feel her hip bones and spine protruding. Also she has blood work done at the vet every 6 months which always comes back normal. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or any suggestions to put weight on her?
    Last edited by Cbrady; 05-10-2020 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

What does your vet say?

My Sebastian just turned 8. He is 32 inches at the shoulder. Even during the times that his vet wanted him to lose a few pounds, I could easily feel his spine and hip bones. This past January, he was just under 100 pounds when we found a tumor in his wrist. It was Osteosarcoma. We had to amputate and follow up with chemo. Because he was already on the lean side, recovering from his surgery was not a big deal. Had he been too overweight, he would not have been a candidate for surgery at all. Because of chemo, we see his regular vet every three weeks for blood work. Last time, he weighed 88 pounds. The vet wants him at 85.

On the internet, there seems to be an attitude in certain groups that bigger is better when it comes to the numbers on the vet’s scale. That really is not the case. The person on FB bragging about their 180 pound Pyr is most likely either exaggerating, or has a grossly obese dog - sometimes both. These dogs were never intended to be mastiff-sized. They wouldn’t be agile enough to do their jobs effectively at that size.

Now, if your vet checks her body condition and is concerned, talk to him or her about ways to encourage weight gain safely. Just like with people, you want to encourage lean tissue growth as opposed to loading her up with empty calories that will just increase the amount of fat she’s carrying. Also, talk to your vet about a healthy target weight for her and keep her there.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

I don't think her weight is an issue. My Jacques is 7 and he has been 115 lbs since he turned a year old. He is 32 at the withers and 36 in length.

Maybe stop the puppy food as it isn't for adults and move onto canned.

For us we free feed kibble and a can of food, or 2 if he eats one. He has never eaten 5-9 cups of food in a day. At best he eats a can of food and maybe 1 or 2 cups. Big breeds dont eat much. When he is eating raw, he only eats 1.5 pounds of meat.
    Melissa AKA Wild Girl Raised in the South

Puppy (New Member)

Good evening and goodo health. We adopted a 15 month old who weighed 63 lbs. He's now 18 months aND weighs 68 lbs. and 27 inches at the shoulders. He's on 5 cups of Diamond Natural large breed puppy food. 3 morning and 2 late afternoon. Gets 2 Cosequin joint supplement, 3 squirter of salmon oil, 2 tsp diatomaceous earth and 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in water. From the posts, he seems on the light or thin side. Any comments or advice appreciated. Thanks ks.