Thread: Itchy puppy

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Itchy puppy

Hi there. I have a 16 week old female Great Pyrenees. We brought her home from the breeder at 9 weeks. Sheís been doing great until recently. She has been itchy for a few weeks. I thought it was because we were bathing her too much(she had 2-3 baths between March and April. She has no flakes, redness, fleas that i could see, irritations etc. her skin and ears look fabulous. I was reading About possible dry skin, flea allergy or food allergy. She lays on the grass and walks/lays in bushes. She is very playful and also very mellow. Sheís eating fine and no diarrhea. Sheís on flea medication. We also started to give her fish oil when her itchiness started. No improvement In itchiness.

Last week I found a live flea crawling on one of our cats. I have not been able to find any flea dirt on the cats, or the dog. Just that one single flea. Since then we have sprayed the yard twice and gave the cats their monthly flea prevention (which they were behind on)We have tile in the house and weíve since cleaned extensively for fleas. Bedding, furniture etc. She is still itching and chewing at her back end, tail etc. she will also scratch her shoulder/neck area. She really goes for it when she chews at her sides and back. Like something is biting her. But I never see any fleas or flea dirt. I look several times a day. We are in the Bay Area in California. The weather here is warm and dry. Lots of static too when brushing the cats and my hair sometimes..

She chews on her sides a lot and all down her tail. I brush her several times a day and she seems to like it. Sheís itching Mostly when sheís at rest and when she gets out of her crate in the morning. . Not while playing, eating, napping etc.. so I wouldnít say itís constant. She isnít injuring herself. But itís enough that itís noticeable and itís in all the same spots. Sometimes she will chew on her front legs too. Vet told us to try Benadryl. Didnít really work. They gave me hydroxyzine to try. Works ok but she still itches. She also said to switch foods. She said she was unsure about allergies this young. She was thinking either fleas or dry skin. (Even though she does not have flakes)

Is this fleas?? Her coat changing? Dry skin? I read that sometimes dogs can itch when their puppy coat starts to change. She has coarser hair on her tail(where she nibbles at) and lots of fluff everywhere else. No shedding.

Also, when we brought her home, we transitioned her from the breeders food: (Costco puppy chicken and pea grain free) to: Fromm LBP chicken. She was doing good on it then got really itchy. We are now switching her food to a duck and oatmeal blend. Hoping it works if sheís sensitive to chicken. The itching came on suddenly. Sheís not scratching her face or chewing, licking her paws. Her belly looks great. No rashes or dry skin that i can see.

Any advice??? Iím going a little nuts trying to figure it out. Iím getting upset about it. Iím trying to obsess over it. Sheís doing it now as i type this. Trying to get at her back and tail.

Puppy (New Member)

I'm having the same issue with my 14 week old! We live in Austin where the weather is warm and humid. Please let me know if the switch to duck helps!

Puppy (New Member)

Hi there! Sheís been on the duck food solely for a little over a week. There is no change in her itching. Since the post I wrote Iíve found 5-6 fleas on the cats. I can not find one on my pup. Her skin looks great. Sheís been to the vet and they canít find anything wrong with her skin. Iím assuming sheís allergic to flea bites. Thatís what the vet said. I can only think thatís the logical thing to assume since Iíve seen live fleas on our cats. One even jumped on me. Itís been years since Iíve seen fleas and Iím shocked. We are getting revolution today for the cats. I donít think frontline is working. We are also going to spray the yard again with a spray that kills eggs and larvae. Weíve cleaned the house meticulously. We live in California and itís warm here. We also got some rain recently so itís the perfect weather for flea eggs to hatch. Iíve tried giving her Benadryl, hydroxyzine from the vet, and Zyrtec. They dint help much at all.
    She just went to the vet yesterday for a cytopoint injection. It lasts 4-8 weeks and it makes them stop itching. Itís not a chemical but a protein/antibody. Safe for puppies. Vet didnít think it was a food allergy. Sheís unsure about seasonal or environmental allergies. Her skin looks great. Her paws arenít ready or itchy. Her belly is fine. No skin odors or irritations anywhere. Itís pristine! So itís frustrating. Vet said she could be getting bit by fleas outside every day and remain itchy from each bite for several days. Itís so frustrating. But right now Iím assuming itís flea bites and not food since I have seen live fleas on our kittens. And vet said sheís too young for a food allergy. Hope your pup gets some relief. Are you on a flea prevention??

Puppy (New Member)

That is interesting to hear that your pup could get bit by fleas outside and experiencing itching for days later. I figured if a flea bites her once, it would stick around for future meals :/

My pup is on Advantage Multi and my other dog is also current with his flea preventative.

I'm a bit at a loss.... So, she is off to the vet for a checkup next week. Hopefully, the vet will have another suggestion/theory.

I'll also ask about that injection. Anything to help relieve my poor baby's itching!

Thank you for your help!!!

Puppy (New Member)

Hi there. I hope that you find out whatís going on with your pup. Update when you can. My pup is on a flea prevention but that doesnít stop her from getting bit by a flea. The fleas have to bite to die. So she can still be itchy if sheís getting bit, even though the fleas will die soon after biting. My pup got a cytopoint injection last week. Itís helped a lot but she still occasionally chews or scratches herself but no where near the amount she was doing. Cytopoint is usually used for seasonal allergies but hoping it helps her with possible flea bites.
    Also, Iíve read a few times that growing pups can itch and scratch as their coats start to change. Is your puppy starting to lose a little bit of puppy fur or transitioning into adult hair?