Hello everyone! I recently adopted a 16 week old male Pyr puppy. (He was neutered a week ago too) We have had him for a week and he has been really good with our female husky/shepherd and male ACD/Border Collie mix and also our cats. We have been going on nightly walks in our neighborhood after work. He barks a lot at the dogs, I know Pyrs bark and honestly it doesn’t bother me too much we are trying to work on some training. Tonight though he growled at a man who came out of his garage to get in his car. It really took us by surprise because he has never done that before. We are now worried he’s going to be be potentially aggressive towards strangers and my husband is already saying if he keeps it up we have to return him because he’s worried he’s going to bite.

Background on him is he was found wondering the streets with a rope for a collar. We think he was not socialized at all and is unfortunately late on learning everything puppies should learn early. At she shelter he was sweet with everyone but now that he’s growled at a stranger I am concerned he might become more weary of people and we won’t be able to have people over or go to the puppy classes we wanted to do at petsmart.

I might be overreacting and we had a planned day at the park on Sunday but now I am concerned he will growl at people. How can I correct or teach him to feel safe around strangers, also tips on controlling his barking?

Also any Pyr groups in Colorado or recommendations for any trainers in Colorado. We are north east of Denver.

Thanks for reading!