Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sebastianís Cancer Journey

A little over a month ago, Sebastian woke up unable to bear weight on his front right wrist. A trip to the 24/7 vet in town revealed that he had what appeared to be a bone tumor.

Last week, Sebastian had his right front leg amputated. It was a grueling decision that was made with love, tears, and some screaming of four-letter words. He is recovering well, and is feeling even more like himself than he was in the days leading up to his surgery. Intellectually, I know I absolutely did the right thing for him. Emotionally, I still hate that he had to go through that.

He has Chondroplastic Osteosarcoma, which means that his tumor cells were creating both bone and cartilage in excessive amounts. On the day we first discovered the tumor, his right wrist looked just like his left wrist to the naked eye. In less than 4 weeks later, his tumor was 4cm x 4cm. I looked it up, and thatís the exact size of a Ping Pong Ball. Believe it or not, the form of Osteosarcoma that he has is not even the most aggressive subtype.

Next Thursday, Sebastian will have his staples removed, and will have his first dose of Chemotherapy. Both our regular vet and the veterinary oncologist say that dogs tolerate Chemo far better than humans - in part because the dose in dogs is smaller. Still, we are getting some Cerenia to keep around the house just in case. Currently, there is no concrete evidence that the Cancer has spread, but with Osteosarcoma, in 90% - 95% of cases there is already microscopic spread by the time the cancer is diagnosed.

With treatment, he has roughly a 50% chance of living another year, and somewhere around a 25% chance of living two more years. Weíre going to take our chances and hope for the very very best.

There are no words to describe how much I hate that this has happened to him. However, if anyone has the strength, courage, and positive attitude to beat this, itís my Sebastian.

I will keep you all posted.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) 2BIGWHITEDOGS's Avatar

2BIGWHITEDOGS`s Photos

I am so sorry to hear about Sebastian. I was just wondering the other day how some of the dogs that were the same age as my two were doing. I lost my Bailey to osteosarcoma three years ago. She was ten and her other front leg had too much arthritis to bear all her weight if we had done the amputation. Plus we were pretty sure from her symptoms that it had spread to her lungs. Treasure whatever time you have with him. He is one unforgettable guy!

Jewel`s Photos

Big hugs to Mom! Bro went through chemo for his bone cancer and he did great. The chemo did not affect his energy level or appetite.

Sebastian is doing really well so far. His first round of chemo had him tired for a few days, but he had no overt side effects. I am planning to continue treatment for him. His next round is next week.

He is pretty much back to being himself. He and Chester have had a few sessions of rough play over the past week. He has figured out one-armed Special Hugs. He is doing pre- and post-potty victory laps. He is trying to find and terrorize any wild animal that he thinks might be in the yard.

Last night, he got a little too excited about going outside. He tripped over the sliding glass door tracks and face-planted on the patio. Then he went over and laid down on the grass like nothing happened. He has been more careful about his foot placement while going in and outside.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF5A49F7-965B-4FA4-96E8-F36D8E6E8456.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	10396

I hate that he has been through so much in such a short period of time, but I am immensely proud of him, and thankful for every moment I still get to share with my sweet beautiful boy.

Here is a video of Sebastian roughhousing with Chester Sunday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANFi...ature=youtu.be

Sebastian has his final chemo treatment scheduled for May 21. He will miss getting to go to the doggie hospital and get lots of attention while getting a break from me for a few hours every three weeks.

He is doing great. The chemo makes him tired for about 24 hours after he gets home, but he hasnít had any overt side effects. His last chest x-ray was clear, so if the cancer did manage to spread to his lungs before the amputation, the chemo is working to keep those cells in check.

As for moving around, he seems to have days where he forgets that he is living on three legs. He has times where, in true Sebastian fashion, he gets too overly excited about something and ends up falling. Then, also in true Sebastian fashion, he bounces right back up as if nothing happened.

His coat is starting to grow in where they shaved it during his surgery, and I now know why they say never to shave a double coated dog unless you have to. The guard hairs feel all prickly, and his undercoat feels wiry, almost like a Brillo pad. Still, I donít let him know that there is anything different.

We replaced the fence in the front walkway area with a new, more sturdy one that now has a latching gate. In the coming weeks, I plan to put some dog-friendly landscaping in, as that is hands-down his favorite place to relax outside. Now, he can go out there without a leash, which is even better.

With the pandemic, I am fortunate to be working from home for the time being, and get to spend a lot more time with Sebastian and Chester. Of course, Chester loves it, and Sebastian has gotten used to having the servant lady around the house, but he does miss his uninterrupted nap time. I am enjoying the extra time with them.

For now, I am hopeful that we caught it in time, and that he has many quality years left. Every moment that I get with him is priceless, and even more so now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B625DE3E-6692-459F-A9C1-5BD206E4015A.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	10413