Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Pyr/Golden mix Adoption - Separation Anxiety Journal

So just before Christmas I adopted a 3 year old Pyrenees/Golden mix from a local shelter. She was sweet and passed all of my screening tests (I've worked in rescues for GSD in the past) for what I was looking for in a dog to be a "pet."

When I got her, she didn't seem to know what a treat or toy were. She didn't seem scared or nervous, just that she wasn't even sure what to do with them (still no food motivation). That has since changed LOL.

She's started to come out of her shell and settle in, and 90% of the time is a very good girl now that we've gotten some basic obedience training out of the way, but she's exhibiting some separation anxiety when I leave the house. Unfortunately I rent, so can't really afford to have her destroy my house, and have crated her since day one when I'm gone - with several toys, treats, and some food to keep her busy. I've also started the desensitization process on the days I don't have to go in to the office.

I have a camera where I can see her crate, and the behavior is classic SA - whining, barking, "digging" - thankfully she doesn't seem hell bent on destruction, so I'm hoping with further training and desensitization, it'll improve. My old GSD (who was a rescue foster I couldn't see anyone adopting) made my new dog (Nymeria I named her) seem like amateur hour, so I'm not worried about dealing with it, just a bit - disappointed I guess - to be going through this with another dog. Won't stop me from dealing with it though.

She sleeps in her crate in my room with the door wide open, so it's not the crate that's the problem. When it starts and how long it lasts is pretty classic SA.

I will be moving to a more dog-friendly home and location in a little over a month, and having a nice yard for her to "patrol" is one of the requirements (my current complex doesn't even have an off leash area on the property, none the less a yard) - plus we'll be going hiking and such regularly, which will give her more interesting things to do than we have were I currently live.

Just figured I'd start a journal on her progress over time. She's my first Pyrenees (mix), although I've had a wide variety of other dogs throughout my life.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Sending you lots of love and good energy. My Lab mix, Chester, has had his struggles with SA off and on since he came to live with us in 2014. We ended up working with a Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist here in the DFW area who really really really helped us. He is able to tolerate things now that I never would have imagined possible. If you ever need the resource, PM me, and I will pass her info along to you. Hopefully, she will progress quickly enough that you won’t need outside help.

Thank you for giving this sweet beautiful girl the loving home every dog deserves, and for taking the time to work with her to ease her fears. She is lucky to have you!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

We've made some progress - I started leaving the door open to the house and feeding the cat down there, and that seemed to help at least a little bit.

With all of the COVID19 stuff going on and being on WFH it's been a great chance to really work on desensitization. She's only getting to eat when in that crate (trying to give her a reason to want to go in there), and since I'm not having to leave every day, I can put her in with her breakfast, and it gets rid of the "leaving" part of a typical morning. I've been putting her in there with her breakfast and leaving her in there for an hour or so, then she's loose the rest of the day. Even just a couple days in she seems to be calming down.

We move in a week and a half (driving to our new home on the 29). I found a nice house with a terrific yard for the dog (tall privacy fence she can't jump over, with several trees and a good size to giver her some patrol room and squirrels to chase). No neighbor fences are shared - the houses are spaced enough that the fenced portions of the lots they just aren't sharing. I'll be working almost 100% remote for a while after the move (regardless of COVID19).

Hoping with a few weeks of being able to work on this routine it'll help her stress less overall. The move will cause some stress, obviously, but I think she'll love having the yard - I went to a friend's house for a weekend and she LOVED his yard and being able to patrol it....