Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Considering adopting 18 month old female pyr; already have female German shepherd

I'm considering adopting an 18 month old female pyr. She has played really well with all of the other dogs at the shelter for the past week and came from a home with other dogs, cats, & kids (owner surrender because of barking complaints...not an issue for me since I live on a rural acreage). I have a female German shepherd (@85lbs) who has spent most of her life going to doggie daycare and gets along with every dog she's ever met. Although the prospective pyr appears great, I'm concerned about eventual female-on-female issues since I'm reading pyrs are more prone to it than other breeds. I'm curious if people have found that to be fairly true, or if it's enough individual-dependent that if she was going to have issues with other female dogs it would have shown up by now. My current dog is fixed and the pyr will be fixed before I bring her home.

They would be inside at night & when I'm home and are outside in a fenced yard while I'm at work.

Thanks!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

From what I have learned from my own experience and listening to the experiences of people around me, same gender aggression is very much an individual thing.

I have two boys. Sebastian is my Saint/Pyr mix, and Chester is a lab mix. Both of them are hit-or-miss with other dogs, but they do get along well. Part of that is their individual personalities - Chester was a street rescue and has intermittent issues with anxiety and insecurity. Sebastian is a confident, predictable dog that Chester sees as a good leader.

Still, management is a daily routine at our house. Chester is insecure about resources, and has had minor resource guarding issues in the past. As a result, he only gets meals, bones, long-lasting treats, and chews when he is in his crate. Chester is also crated any time I am not home for a number of reasons.

I have learned the subtle signs that Chester is stressed, and have learned to redirect him before he lashes out at Sebastian. Patricia McConnell’s website as well as her books “The Other End of the Leash” and “For The Love of a Dog” are excellent resources for learning dog body language and management skills.

Also, as awful as it seems, when Chester first came to live with us, I set rules for myself as to which behaviors would constitute a deal-breaker. Because I was living alone in an apartment at the time, I decided that if a fight broke out between Sebastian and Chester, Chester would have to go. I am thankful that I was never put in the position of having to follow through with that.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian