Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Constant itching

Hi I have a 6 month old Great Pyrenees puppy and he will not stop itching. I am knew to this breed but Iíve had plenty of dogs before but none itches like this. We have given him flea prevention so thatís pretty well out of the question we have tried half a Benadryl but thatís just temporary from what we can tell. We just changed his diet to a grain free food to see if maybe thatís his problem but the local feed store said thatís highly unlikely at his age they said it is probably an environmental allergy. I came here hoping maybe someone could give me some insight as to what it might be thatís causing it and some remedies to make this poor puppy stop scratching himself raw. Any help is very greatly appreciated.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by grizz7905 View Post
    We just changed his diet to a grain free food to see if maybe thatís his problem but the local feed store said thatís highly unlikely at his age they said it is probably an environmental allergy.

If he's been itching for months, it is possible that it's food allergy. Typically environmental allergies are seasonal and so if the itching has continued for many months through different seasons, it may be food and not environmental.

If it is food allergy, and you managed to switch to a food without the allergens, it can take weeks before you can see a change. If you want to know if it's food, I would suggest you look into limited ingredient foods. I would pick a food that has a protein source that you've not fed and other ingredients that are not in the foods you've fed.

If the puppy has a particular oder, kind of like corn chips, it may be suffering from overgrowth of yeast on its skin. My pup went through that issue when he was a baby. To manage yeast overgrowth, I bathed my pup weekly. After he's rinsed clean of shampoo, I rinse again in diluted apple cider vinegar and left that to dry. I did that for 6 weeks with my pup and that helped tremendously.