Thread: Sebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Sebastian

I’m still having a hard time wrapping my brain around this but Sebastian has bone cancer. The pathologist wasn’t able to tell us definitively whether he has osteosarcoma or one of the other, far more rare types of tumor, but she was able to see the types of abnormal cells that indicate a malignancy.
    We have an appointment with a veterinary oncologist next week.
    In the mean time, he is still busy demanding treats, and forgetting that his wrist hurts just long enough to go chasing after his nemesis squirrel. His chest x-rays were clear, and his lab work was what our vet described as “perfect”.

I m trying to hold it together the best I can, and cherish every happy moment I still have left with him, but the fear and sadness still hit me in waves. I’m hoping that will subside once we are able to meet with the oncologist and get a better idea of what his prognosis is.

I’ll keep you all posted.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Young Dawg (Member)

Really sorry to hear that. Best wishes to you and Sebastian.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Thank you so much.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boots (2).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	10392I am so very sorry. I lost my beautiful 12 1/2 year old Irish Setter, Sir Lancelots Irish Price, (just Boots to us) back on July 9, 1997 to bone cancer in his right knee. He had arthritis and when he started limping on the Friday we thought it was acting up. But Monday he was dragging that leg. As soon as we walked in and I saw the look on my vet's face I knew it was bad. Anway, once diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer (can't remember what he called it) we had 3 choices. 1> Amputate THAT DAY and hope it had not spred. 2. Have a few days with him and then let him got. 3. Do nothing and let it take him when it was ready to. Rickey knew Iwould never do the 3rd option. My heart was saying amputate, but common sense told me that would not be fair to him. He was so old and had arthritis in his hips. We didn't know if if it had spread amd it would not be fair to put him thru the surgery if he only had a week or two left.

My vet said that by the end of the week mostly likely he would not be able to get up or walk and would stop eating. We decided to have a couple of days with him. But that couple of days turned into exactly 10 weeks. I took him to the bay every single day and while I fished, he sawm, pestered crabs in the shallow water, tried to get shore birds. We passed my vet going to the 7 miles to my fishing spot and would stop in a couple of times a week. Rickey would check Boots (no charge) and say we didn't need to do it yet. He was actually putting on weight. Had developed a bunny hop right away so no longer drug that leg and could get around pretty fast.

He loved fruits and veggies and we let him have all the tossed salad (minus onions) he wanted, all the melon, banana. And he had such a sweet tooth, so each night he got what we had for dessert--his own banana split with 3 scoops of ice cream, 3 toppings whipped cram and even a cherry, his own strawberry short cake, apple pi with ice cream, even small piece of chocolate cake. Boy did he love his desserts.

But then exactly 10 weeks to the day of th diagnosis, it was in his front leg, same side and I let him go that day. I could have had him a few more days, but I let him go before he really suffered any at all. H was able to have fun at the "beach" as I called my fishing spot on the bay where I wade fished, and even actually wen to the beach h a couple of times. My vet still talks about the "old red man" and how great his last weeks had been and how he surprised everyone by living it up for so long. It was hard to let him go, but I am just thankful for all those extra weeks with him.
    Jerry and Moose

So sorry to hear this, I saw his pics/videos on your fb page and he's way too adorable. I really hope he gets better soon Good luck to both of you.