Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Exclamation Pyrenees constant ear infections.

Please help me, I'm getting desperate. I have a three year old great pyr named baron. For probably a year now he has been getting constant yeast infections in one ear, sometimes both. The vet just has us come in and get him a dose of ciprofloxin every month, but it always comes back. The medicine does seem to work, atleast for the first week or two of the month but then he's back to scratching his ears. Hes scratched them so much some times that he's made wounds in them and I've had to put a cone on him. I've cut all corn from his diet, then for a few months I took out all grain, but then I put some grain back because the vet said a completely grain free diet will kill him. At this point I'm assuming maybe it's am allergy to something outside so I'm giving him a dose of loratadine based on his weight each day, and the ears no longer smell like yeast, but there is still brown, almost black discharge, but that doesn't smell like yeast when sniffed either. I'm just...I really need answers, am I doing this wrong? At 40$ bucks an ear for meds each month, this is really expensive on a lower class income.

Any recommendations?

If it's any help, he also had terrible diarrhea for weeks and switched a couple foods and gave him probiotic supplements for months till his poops had finally firmed back up.

He's active, he doesn't swim (he used to in the summer but the vet has cleaned his ears since then), he isn't losing any hear or active lethargic or out of the ordinary aside from tearing up his ears

Is it mites? Do I just do a wash and see what happens with the loratadine? Please help me, my vet just keeps telling me the same shit and I hate seeing him suffer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191223_163015.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	10393  

Jewel`s Photos

So the ear infections started when he was about 2 years old. One way to see whether it's food or environment is if the symptoms are constant regardless of season it suggest it may be food allergy. What were you feeding at that time and what are you feeding now? The issue may not be grains but with the protein of the food.

Puppy (New Member)

Hello, thank you for answering my post! I don't know exactly what he eats, my mother buys his food, I just do the heavy lifting when it comes to food, so I'll need to wait a few hours till morning to be able to answer, then I'll get back to you. Thank you again.

Puppy (New Member)

Alrighty. He eats Purina one smart blend lamb and rice formula.
    At the end of December I took him out of town for a week and couldn't get ahold of this food so for a few days at the end of December he ate taste of the wild Pacific stream smoked salmon grain free food (god what a mouthfull)

Puppy (New Member)

And also I have zero idea what I was feeding him when this started, possibly iams smart puppy, possibly that mixed with something else. My memory is failing to recall.