Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Intact 2 1/2 male being overly assertive with husband

Hello,

I would totally appreciate feedback from anyone who can help with this question. Our 2 1/2 yr old male has started stalking my husband and trying to jump at him.

Anyway, I'm wondering if neutering has helped anybody with aggression or excessive assertiveness in any instances? I do think he'***ually overstimulated( humping and other behaviors).

If Nancy and Rudy are still on the forum would you mind telling be if you saw a change in Rudy? I read an old post of yours that sounded so similar.

Thank you for any input,
    Kathleen and Gene

Jewel`s Photos

Rudy challenged Nancy's husband a few times. I believe that stopped after he was neutered.

What do you mean your dog's trying to jump at your husband? Do you mean in an aggressive way with no provocation?

An young intact male can be a lot more assertive and headstrong and hard to redirect. Testosterone will also fuel aggression causing it to be more intense. If an intact dog is showing aggression, neutering should help decrease the intensity.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

I had my Wiley neutered at 26 months. He had developed some dog aggression... and he was humping everything in site. After neutering, it took about 6 months for his behavior to change. It got better, tho his personality changed a bit as well. A lot of his puppy shyness returned. I've never noticed any difference in behavior between women & men. Neutering is not a cure-all tho. There are still some dogs he DOES NOT LIKE... just like people... and he'll still hump on occasion.

Young Dawg (Member)

Sorry, I just saw this response. He had a really good relationship with my husband. Then one morning I was standing at the sink. He was behind me. I think sniffing and generally waiting. My husband touched him from behind and said "hey". I only could see this out of the corner of my eye. However, I was thinking, not a good idea to approach from behind like that. I couldn't see Gene's face but it surprised him. From that moment on he was after him. I think he felt as though he was trying to take him away from me.

He has literally made it his job now to watch him. He's jumped at him a couple times in an aggressive way. My husband travels a lot which has been helpful this week to calm Gene's(dog) level of stress.

I've been wondering if the neutering would help because he's so obsessive with smelling me and my other dog(who is spayed). He tries to lick her legs extensively and it drives her crazy trying to avoid it. For me, I'll get up from a chair and he'll obsess over the spot I sat on.

Young Dawg (Member)

Did Wiley dislike some dogs before neutering also? Do you suspect that became worse after neutering?

Was the aggression that he was developing directed at anyone specific or just in general?

Thanks!

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KGK View Post
    My husband touched him from behind and said "hey". I only could see this out of the corner of my eye. However, I was thinking, not a good idea to approach from behind like that.
    why did you think it wasn't a good idea what your husband did? I am asking because that was your reaction to the situation. Sounds like you expected Gene to react in a negative way. While Gene may have been surprised, a well-adjusted dog would have gotten over it. The watching your husband thing is targeted challenge and intimidation in dog language.

Your description of Gene's reactions to you and your other dog sounds like his behavior is being driven by hormones and Gene may be thinking you belong to him. Because your husband is away on a regularly basis, it also sounds like Gene thinks he is above your husband in the family hierarchy.

There is a good chance neutering will reduce the high strung obsessive behavior.

Young Dawg (Member)

Thanks so much for your thoughts on that! I didn't think it was a good idea to surprise him from behind. My husband has passed him a couple times in the hallway previously when Gene was sleeping and Gene yelled at him. I think that both of those maneuvers are bad decisions on my husbands behalf but I totally agree in that it seems as though most well adjusted dogs would move on.

I really appreciate your interpretation. I think it really fits the scenario. My husband has been gone again. I think this time it's probably a good thing because Gene's stress level has dramatically dropped(back to normal). I've been spending time doing basic training with him in hopes of establishing better boundaries. I'm definitely concerned about the reintroduction when my husband returns.

His obsession with smelling both myself and my other spayed dog makes me wonder if neutering has to happen to remove that preoccupation.
    Thank you!
    Kathleen