Thread: New Pyr Dad

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New Pyr Dad

Hi all,

New to the forums obviously. I started following this forum about over a year ago while I was in the pre-adoption process with my wife to adopt our pyr puppy, Kuma. Somehow it slipped my mind to become a member and share photos and in that time Kuma has grown a lot. He is about 11 months old now (will share photos when I figure out how).

Quick question, possibly a silly one, regarding his height. There seems to be no thread really discussing height as puppies grow although there is one for weight, but his weight I'm not super concerned about as long as he is healthy.

The question(finally): he is about 29 1/4-29 3/4 inches tall at the shoulder now. It is pretty difficult to get an accurate measurement of the guy, hes very squirrely even after offering treats and doesnt understand what I mean when I ask him to stand up straight (though he sits fairly well for a pyr pup) and moves around a lot. He's mostly Pyr, though not a purebred, and is according to the breeder less than 1/4 anatolian shepherd, I think from the dad's side.

How much taller can I expect this guy to get?(and accordingly, how much should he be eating?) I did meet both of his parents. Dont know their heights but the breeder told us that the females in his line generally weight between 100-120 lbs and the males 140-150....and his parents are each in that range. So I assume he will eventually thicken out more (my wife likes to call him string bean for now).

We're curious because throughout his puppyhood up far, he has been a very picky eater and we've struggled to actually know how much he should be eating based on his size and what is healthy for him. There has never actually been a consistent period where hes even eaten 4 cups a day on average and he gets 1-2 mile walks every day (will increase after he reaches final height). He'd usually go a couple of days in a row eating food that we dress up for him, and then start skipping a meal or two and then eventually refusing to eat or only eating 1-2 cups a day. As a result, he looks like a string bean. Solid and healthy for sure, but still quite thin and getting very tall. There have been multiple months since he was about 6 months where he'd barely gain any weight but get clearly taller. In fact he's probably gotten 4-5 inches taller since then and only gained ~ 20 lbs. Last accurate measurement was just before 6 months old, he was about 62 lbs. My only concern is that since his parents are large, that he is not getting all the nutrients he needs during his growth period until his plates close. Hes about 83 lbs now and both of us are convinced he'd be at least 10 lbs heavier if he actually ate most of his food everyday....but we're not stressing as long as we know he is healthy until he reaches full height....and we dont know how much more to expect.

Ballpark guess maybe? Thanks, even if this is impossible to ask.

Jewel`s Photos

Typically if a pup is eating a good quality kibble and is growing consistently, there is little worry that it's not getting enough nutrition to grow to the size it's genetically programmed to get to. At 11 months he's reached most of his height. He can get a bit taller but typically not dramatically. The taller pyrs that I've seen around where we are and those that we've seen in Austin are about 30"-31" tall. Although some can be a bit taller, but not that many.

You want a pyr pup to be on the thin side rather than having thick muscles. Bigger is not better for giant breed puppies. I will also note that most of the pyrs I've seen are quite well-padded, and more than a few are outright obese. Also, pyrs do not reach full physical maturity until they are about 4 years old so your boy still has a lot of growing to do.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Typically if a pup is eating a good quality kibble and is growing consistently, there is little worry that it's not getting enough nutrition to grow to the size it's genetically programmed to get to. At 11 months he's reached most of his height. He can get a bit taller but typically not dramatically. The taller pyrs that I've seen around where we are and those that we've seen in Austin are about 30"-31" tall. Although some can be a bit taller, but not that many.

You want a pyr pup to be on the thin side rather than having thick muscles. Bigger is not better for giant breed puppies. I will also note that most of the pyrs I've seen are quite well-padded, and more than a few are outright obese. Also, pyrs do not reach full physical maturity until they are about 4 years old so your boy still has a lot of growing to do.
    Thank you!

Should be known that we did not adopt him here in Austin. We drove to a small town somewhere probably 3 hours northwest, to a farm. We actually thought about adopting in austin or nearby since we did the same with our other pets, but since he was a Pyr we wanted to know who his parents were and to make sure he would fit well with our cats and other dog; we definitely made the right decision because he's been terrific with them, especially the younger cat which we were nervous about since she is very skittish around unfamiliar animals (she absolutely loves him now, even more than my other dog which is fairly strange to be honest).
    I don't know the exact measurements of his parents outside of their weight as the breeder told us, but they were absoutely not obese dogs by any stretch, since they were (are) mostly working dogs. Saw them up close, in person. The dad in particular is just a big, tall dog, and still fairly young himself. Makes sense that hes 140-150. And I have a female lab mix who is definitely a larger lab than typical at ~90 lbs (she's about 26-27" at the shoulder, so around the size of many female pyrs at maturity) and Kuma's mom was clearly larger than her. So with this knowledge it left me and my wife feeling like he should be eating at least more than my lab did when she was still in her growing phase; we fed her about 3 cups a day until she was about 2, and then cut down to 2 cups and shes been at a nice healthy frame ever since. But this guy seems like he should be getting more based on how tall he already is. For example, my lab was probably about 24" at a year old and now shes getting close to 3 and reached her full size sometime around two, probably grew another 2 inches after that first year. Different dog but what you say sounds reasonable though. He's close to 30" now so maybe he'll end up around 31-32"? If that's the case, then I dont care how much he eats as long as he eats enough to support his size in a healthy way and doesnt miss any nutrients he's supposed to get.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KumaDad View Post
    I have a female lab mix who is definitely a larger lab than typical at ~90 lbs (she's about 26-27" at the shoulder, so around the size of many female pyrs at maturity)
    Lol, your lab is huge. My first pyr was a female at 25" and 82 lbs. My next one was 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie male at 25" and 70 lbs. My next pyr was a girl who was 26.5" and 74 lbs. My current 3 yo male purebred pyr is 27"-28" and 92 lbs.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel View Post
    Lol, your lab is huge. My first pyr was a female at 25" and 82 lbs. My next one was 1/2 pyr 1/2 retriever/aussie male at 25" and 70 lbs. My next pyr was a girl who was 26.5" and 74 lbs. My current 3 yo male purebred pyr is 27"-28" and 92 lbs.
    So she's actually 1/4 pyr (which is how we learned about the breed in the first place), which is why she's on the larger side for a lab. She look mostly like a purebred lab except her coat is a little longer than normal, and she has little white hairs on her belly and a tiny strip on her chest. And she barks. A lot.
    When we got Kuma he really.took after her immediately like a young pupil. But he's learning all her bad labrador habits as well (facepalm)...ironically except the one trait we wish he'd have, which is to eat all his food. The guy never eats all his food unless he's starving, or you feed him like gourmet beef, while our lab will.eat everything put in front of her and ask for second and thirds. She needs to be a little less of a glutton, and he could be a little more (although we measure out their food everyday so neither will ever be overweight). The guy is all head and legs right now, it's actually quite funny.

Quote Originally Posted by KumaDad View Post
    Thank you!

Should be known that we did not adopt him here in Austin. We drove to a small town somewhere probably 3 hours northwest, to a farm. We actually thought about adopting in austin or nearby since we did the same with our other pets, but since he was a Pyr we wanted to know who his parents were and to make sure he would fit well with our cats and other dog; we definitely made the right decision because he's been terrific with them, especially the younger cat which we were nervous about since she is very skittish around unfamiliar animals (she absolutely loves him now, even more than my other dog which is fairly strange to be honest).
    I don't know the exact measurements of his parents outside of their weight as the breeder told us, but they were absoutely not obese dogs by any stretch, since they were (are) mostly working dogs. Saw them up close, in person. The dad in particular is just a big, tall dog, and still fairly young himself. Makes sense that hes 140-150. And I have a female lab mix who is definitely a larger lab than typical at ~90 lbs (she's about 26-27" at the shoulder, so around the size of many female pyrs at maturity) and Kuma's mom was clearly larger than her. So with this knowledge it left me and my wife feeling like he should be eating at least more than my lab did when she was still in her growing phase; we fed her about 3 cups a day until she was about 2, and then cut down to 2 cups and shes been at a nice healthy frame ever since. But this guy seems like he should be getting more based on how tall he already is. For example, my lab was probably about 24" at a year old and now shes getting close to 3 and reached her full size sometime around two, probably grew another 2 inches after that first year. Different dog but what you say sounds reasonable though. He's close to 30" now so maybe he'll end up around 31-32"? If that's the case, then I dont care how much he eats as long as he eats enough to support his size in a healthy way and doesnt miss any nutrients he's supposed to get.
    Wow that's a big lab My 8.5 month old purebred female pyr, who's in her rowdy teenage phase, is 28" tall and 91lbs. Seems like she'll be a big girl too. She's not a picky eater but definitely eats less (3-4 cups a day) for her size, I believe pyrs usually eat less than other dogs of their size. I feed her Royal Canin junior (till 7 months fed her puppy food) diet as per my vet's recommendation.