Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Puppy growth weight and size

Good evening. I am a new Pyr owner and have a 5 month old male that currently weighs 45lbs. His mom was around 80lbs, dad about 130lbs. My "Bear" isn't that tall but super stocky and thick looking. I feed him Purina One Large breed puppy food and he is eating about 5cups a day. His vet says he is super healthy, but I am concerned that he is small. His paws and legs seem huge, but I just thought he would be bigger. Is he normal size for his age? Thanks for any insight.

Jewel`s Photos

5 month old at around 45-50 lbs is in the average range. 5 cups a day is also within average range. If the vet says he's super healthy I don't see there is a reason to worry. He's going to get as big as his genes say he will be. Borrowing a saying from one of our other members on the forums, "so long as his legs reach the ground, he's tall enough." Bigger is not better for a giant breed puppy. In the first year, you want to be able to feel ribs without pressing down.

Pyr's vary greatly in size. A male can be from 25" to 32" tall. A 7" variance is huge. A 25" male can be perfectly thin and healthy at 75 lbs, while a 32" tall dog can be perfectly healthy at 125 to 130. I have a 28" male who is 3 yrs old. He is maintained at a slender 90 lbs.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you! I am fairly new to the breed, but did a lot of research and personally know the breeder. I love his size and temperament. He is such a great part of the family and regardless of his size, he is a perfect fit on our farm.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

If I remember correctly, ours was at full size around 9 months. Over the following two years he gained 7 pounds and stayed where he is.

Jacques is 32 at the withers and 36 in length weighting 112-117 lbs depending on the time of year.

His mom was 90 and his dad was 140 but Jacques was feed raw his first 5 years while his parents were fed kibble. He is quite lean even tho he eats a lot of people food.
    Melissa AKA Wild Girl Raised in the South

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by WildGrits View Post
    Jacques is 32 at the withers and 36 in length weighting 112-117 lbs depending on the time of year.
    He is in perfect shape!