Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Puppy growth weight and size

Good evening. I am a new Pyr owner and have a 5 month old male that currently weighs 45lbs. His mom was around 80lbs, dad about 130lbs. My "Bear" isn't that tall but super stocky and thick looking. I feed him Purina One Large breed puppy food and he is eating about 5cups a day. His vet says he is super healthy, but I am concerned that he is small. His paws and legs seem huge, but I just thought he would be bigger. Is he normal size for his age? Thanks for any insight.

Jewel`s Photos

5 month old at around 45-50 lbs is in the average range. 5 cups a day is also within average range. If the vet says he's super healthy I don't see there is a reason to worry. He's going to get as big as his genes say he will be. Borrowing a saying from one of our other members on the forums, "so long as his legs reach the ground, he's tall enough." Bigger is not better for a giant breed puppy. In the first year, you want to be able to feel ribs without pressing down.

Pyr's vary greatly in size. A male can be from 25" to 32" tall. A 7" variance is huge. A 25" male can be perfectly thin and healthy at 75 lbs, while a 32" tall dog can be perfectly healthy at 125 to 130. I have a 28" male who is 3 yrs old. He is maintained at a slender 90 lbs.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you! I am fairly new to the breed, but did a lot of research and personally know the breeder. I love his size and temperament. He is such a great part of the family and regardless of his size, he is a perfect fit on our farm.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

If I remember correctly, ours was at full size around 9 months. Over the following two years he gained 7 pounds and stayed where he is.

Jacques is 32 at the withers and 36 in length weighting 112-117 lbs depending on the time of year.

His mom was 90 and his dad was 140 but Jacques was feed raw his first 5 years while his parents were fed kibble. He is quite lean even tho he eats a lot of people food.
    Melissa AKA Wild Girl Raised in the South

https://www.facebook.com/Jacques-le-...9794750185103/

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by WildGrits View Post
    Jacques is 32 at the withers and 36 in length weighting 112-117 lbs depending on the time of year.
    He is in perfect shape!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) WildGrits's Avatar

WildGrits`s Photos

Thanks Jewel. I'm hoping it makes the senior years better for him as we have lots of stairs in our home.
    Melissa AKA Wild Girl Raised in the South

https://www.facebook.com/Jacques-le-...9794750185103/