Thread: very thin Pyr

Young Dawg (Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Gadric`s Photos

Default very thin Pyr

Hi everyone..
    I have a male, 2 year old Pyrenees who looks thin and in only about 70lbs. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry because he is a happy, energetic Pyr but I wonder if there are any safe healthy ways to put some weight on him

Jewel`s Photos

You didn't say what you are feeding. To add good muscle weight on, I would suggest topping kibbles you are feeding with ground beef, other fresh cooked meats, tuna, or sardines so to encourage the dog to eat more. Full fat yogurt or cottage cheese are other options.

I would add that there is nothing wrong with a thin body condition if the dog is otherwise very healthy, energetic and muscular. While 70 lbs is not a lot for a pyr, it may be the right weight for the particular dog's frame. Also, pyrs don't stop filling out until they are 4. A 2 yo is certainly not done growing.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

First of all, what dos your vet say? Does he think your boy needs to put on weight? On the golden retriever forum group I belong to--and it has hundreds of members--many suggest satin balls to put weight on thin dogs. You can google and find recipe. I have only ever had one dog that needed to put on weight--without being sick-- and I was doing it by getting him off the vegan food the foster fed him and putting him on a good food. When our last Pyr was diagnosed with liver disease he dropped from 115 to 78 pounds before I got things turned around for him. He refused to eat hepatic food the vet prescribe I cooked oatmeal with a little honey and milk and cooked chicken added in the mornings chicken breasts or ground turkey cooked with rice, chopped apples and sweet potatoes, sometimes green beans or carrots added. Upon diagnosis he had been 6 months tops, and that being on the hepatic food and with the meds--which he always managed to spit out. Even our vet & tech could not force them down him. You would think he had swallowed them, only to find them in another room later on. But I stopped trying to give him the meds and the food he would not eat, cooked for him and had him 23 months. He was 11 1/2 when we had to let him go and he let us know when it was time. Our vet came to our house and he said he had expected to have to do this almost 2 years earlier. Oh, I did give him organic milk thistle everyday, and organic coconut oil (a tablespoon) every day and I made his treats using rice, chicken livers and sweet potatoes. I make them for our Princess Jewel, the Pyr we adopted in Feb. after losing Sir Moose in Dec. She is 10.
    Jerry and Moose