Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default How much should a almost 6.5 month old Male puppy weigh?

Trying to get an idea on what our 6.5 month puppy should weigh. At his 6mo checkup he weighed a little over 58 lbs. To me he looks a little thin. Our vet said he is fine.

We feed him Fromm large breed puppy food. In the morning he usually does not want food. Same during the afternoon. At night his appetite is good. But after being in Fromm this whole time he seems to be getting bored with it. We got some Fromm with duck and veggies in it and mix it with the puppy food. Sometimes we sprinkle on some beef liver flavored powder for dogs and he will eat it.

Do we need to look into another brand and just switch them every few days to entice him to eat? He gets exercise and plays hard but I'm just a little concerned about his being a little thin in my mind.

I tried searching the archives but find varying answers.

Thanks in advance,

Ron
    Marysville, Wa

Puppy (New Member)

Is this board this slow?

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

JeninVictor`s Photos

I am not sure what your Pyr should weigh at 6.5 months but I have a 3 year old female Pyr that has had intestinal issues and at the beginning, there were times she was disinterested in food. After blood tests and various other diagnostics, we opted to do a few biopsies in her intestines. She has intestinal inflammation. She is on prednisone and Royal Canin HP food with Tylan to help her absorb nutrients. At her lowest, she weighed 77 pounds - even though she was eating regularly. Just last week she weighed in at 89.7 pounds and moving in the right direction. Today she starts shots for a vitamin B deficiency.
    Sylvie was part of a rescue. A bag of puppies were deserted with their mom. The pup were all very small and I suspect will all have some health issues stemming from their early trauma.
    I would consult with your vet to see if the lack of interest in food might have something to do with something digestively - or some other health issue. I can't see why, on their own, a 6.5 month puppy would be disinterested in food and that finicky.
    I hope this helps a little.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

A pup at around 60 lbs at 6 months or so is quite normal. On average, from 2 months on pyr pups grow at a rate of 10 lbs a month until they are 6 months. At that point, some lines of dogs will start to taper off from the growth rate and may go only 5 lbs a month. Others will continue with the 10 lbs/mo rate until they are 10 months and then taper off. You will hear people brag about how big their pups are. Don't buy into that kind of bragging. It is better that a pyr pup to stay on the thin side in their first year in order to avoid unnecessary stress on their growing structure. If your vet isn't concerned, then I would not worry.

It is also very normal for pyrs to be finicky eaters. My guy is now 3 and I've resorted to buying 5 lb bags of kibbles and change either the protein or a different brand every time he finishes a bag. I also use toppers and do home cooked to encourage eating. My guy weighs a thin athletic 90 lbs. Over the summer he only ate about 2 cups a day on average. But since it is now cooler, he's eating more.

What you should focus on is body condition rather than the number on the scale. You want to be able feel ribs without pressing down on the sides. But you don't want to be able to count each rib over just a layer of skin. If you can't feel ribs, feed less. If you can count ribs, feed a little more.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank for the info guys

Now I have a better idea about the weight. We will also get his blood further checked for any issues.

Ron