Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question Urinary Tract Infection

Our dog Big Al is a Senior. We are his third owner. We inherited him from my mother in law over 3 years ago when she passed. From the information we received from her the estimate is Al is 12 years old. She rescued him from a shelter. He is not our first GP & has out lived any previous GP we have had. He is neutered and so is our 13 year old female doxy. Late August I took him to the Vet because he had an ear infection and not eating well. They took blood and said his white blood cell count and liver enzymes were elevated. We went home with ear meds and 30 days of antibiotics and they encouraged me to get him to gain 5 pounds. I was feeding him Purina Pro Plan. I gradually switched him to homemade dynovite recipe and Bully Max kibble (535 calories per cup) and tried to give him plain organic yogurt but he wasn't having any of that. He was eating well until about the 4th week into the antibiotics and he slowed down eating and started urinating funny like arching his back. I took him back to the Vet again the first part of October and he lost one pound! He was anemic, and white blood cell count and liver enzymes got worse. We were sent home with Prednisone and amoxicillion for 30 days. I asked about probiotics. They sent me home with some and I ordered more online. I continued with the same food and the Prednisone increased his appetite for awhile then it seemed after the third week of antibiotics it declined again and his urine problem didn't seem to be getting any better. I took him back to the Vet and they collected urine and said he has a urinary tract infection. He did gain 2.6 pounds. We were sent home with SMZ-TMP (960 gm) twice a day for 14 days of antibiotic. We just completed that round with probiotics. I give him the probiotics first and wait an hour before I give him the antibiotic. I can't find anything on the internet on if the probiotic should be given 1st or the antibiotic. My vet and I decided probiotic 1st wait an hour then the antibiotic. He couldn't find anything on how to give the two either. So if anyone knows that would be great! So Big Al is still urinating by hunching his back. He also tends to dribble uncontrollably at times. There are no crystals or stones according to the Vet. I know the Vet is puzzled. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Cranberry powder in his food maybe? I have ordered pH strips and urine collector to try to find out if he is acidic or alkaline. From what I have read dogs should be around 6.5 acidic some say at 7. When I first brought him to the Vet he was very slow and not a very happy boy. He now has energy and barking alot more and playful, etc. I do see an improvement in him. I apologize for this being so long but I always feel more information is better. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help Big Al? Perhaps it it old age but I want to make his life as comfortable as I can. Thanks for reading.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

At the risk of giving you TMI, I recently had a UTI that was resistant to Bactrim (SMZ-TMP). It finally cleared up once my doctor put me on a different antibiotic. If Big Al is still having painful, frequent urination, I would definitely try a course of different antibiotics. Often times, when a UTI has already been treated with an antibiotic, the urine culture will come back negative, even if symptoms are still present.

Asss for the cranberry, recent studies have shown little to no benefit to preventing/treating UTIs in humans.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I guess I failed to mention that the first two 30 day rounds of antibiotics were Amoxicillin. So he has had a couple of different kinds. As I brushed him yesterday he did not "drip" urine. I'll continue to monitor him. I'm glad you are cleared up!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

Did your vet have him on straight Amoxicillin for 60 days, or did s/he also try a broad spectrum antibiotic containing Amoxicillin, like Clavamox? Has your vet been checking in to see whether or not his symptoms were responding to treatment?

At this point, I would be concerned about Big Alís kidneys. We had a member a few years ago whose dogís undiagnosed UTI spread to her kidneys. It took some trial and error with different antibiotics, but the infection was finally cleared with Zeniquin.

Different strains of different bacteria respond differently to different antibiotics.

If you get the feeling that your vet isnít taking this seriously, take Al to a different vet.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Jewel`s Photos

When you say vet said there are no crystals or stones how did the vet confirm that? Radiographs?

Puppy (New Member)

The vet took Xrays & urine sample. Thatís all I know. I assumed it could be confirmed from that but Iím not a medical person. Is that how they are detected?

Puppy (New Member)

It was Amoxicillin 500mg for 30 days. 1st round started 8-28-19 & 2nd round started 10-7-19. So there was 10 days in between rounds. I feel the vet is taking this seriously. Iíll call & talk to him about broad spectrum & zeniquin. Thanks for the suggestions.