Thread: Help :(

Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Help :(

I have a 1 year old great pyr names Max. Heís the best dog Iíve ever ever had! Heís great with all my kids and I wouldnít trade him for the world!!! However...he recently figured out how to jump my fence. If heís outside more than 10 minutes after heís eaten, heís gone. I canít coup him up inside forever and I canít only let him out for a few mins. It started with him being gone for 5 minutes Iíd call and whistle for him and heíd come right back. Starting tonight he jumped the fence and was gone for 20 minutes! I was in a full panic because I couldnít just jump in my car with 4 kids and go search for him. Iím at a loss I donít know how to keep him inside the fence. Someone told me to get a shock collar but I refuse. What can I do???

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Brayjj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbettes View Post
    I have a 1 year old great pyr names Max. Heís the best dog Iíve ever ever had! Heís great with all my kids and I wouldnít trade him for the world!!! However...he recently figured out how to jump my fence. If heís outside more than 10 minutes after heís eaten, heís gone. I canít coup him up inside forever and I canít only let him out for a few mins. It started with him being gone for 5 minutes Iíd call and whistle for him and heíd come right back. Starting tonight he jumped the fence and was gone for 20 minutes! I was in a full panic because I couldnít just jump in my car with 4 kids and go search for him. Iím at a loss I donít know how to keep him inside the fence. Someone told me to get a shock collar but I refuse. What can I do???
    How tall is your fence?
    I hate to say it and I'm sure others may not agree but you may have to tie him on a leash for now.
    Our pyr mix spends a lot of time tied if I can't be right there cause of children. We just built him about an acre of fenced in property. Our plan was to let him have full free range! This is about a 5-6 foot tall fence. He tried getting out pretty quickly. So for now he can only be off leash when I'm in the fence. I hope he forgets about climbing it in time.
    Maybe he can't be alone outside for now... Or tied.
    Ours has escaped a few times. The last time he came.back covered in mud, green pond slime and burrs. He then continued to throw up for hours. He got into someone's trash and ate everything you can imagine. It took me 5 hours of bathing and he still wasn't clean. It was the worst nightmare. So now he's tied outside or in the fence with me.

A shock collar with these dogs don't work. Mine was shocked by our pig fence once and he won't even go near it. He completely flipped out and was upset for days. I've heard of people using underground fences with shock collars but their pyr neck got sores from it.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Young Dawg (Member)

I don't have a fence. My Pyr is never off-leash when outside. Never ever ever. We are thinking about running a cable between 2 trees and running a lead for when my husband sits outside with him during the spring and fall. But we won't leave him outside on his own. Pyrs are medium-energy dogs and don't need an excessive amount of exercise. Stick to walking Max on a leash.