Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

jumpoverit`s Photos

Default My 12 week old puppy has a very severe overshot jaw and I need your advice

Hello,
    I went to the vet yesterday and she told me that my 12 week-old puppy has a severe overshot jaw. Her palate already shows signs of teeth holes. She said that the best case scenario is that the canines will protrude outside of the mouth like a "bulldog"... I certainly don't want that......
    Other option is that the canines be surgically removed. I dont want that either.
    The breeder had told me about the overshot jaw.
    What do I do? I love my dog. Should I ask for another one? My money back ?
    I know I should have waited a little bit more to deal with the most reputable pyr breeder in my area. I chose not to do so.... I was too impatient......
    I need your help as to what to do...

Thank you
    Sergio

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

It looks like your pup has an overbite. Bulldogs typically have underbites, where you see the bottom canines protruding. With an overbite, it seems to me it would be harder to see the top canines because the lip would cover them. I rescued a puppy a few years back that was about 10 weeks old. It was clear at that age that she had an overbite, there was a gap between her upper palate to her lower one. She didn't have any issues eating or even chewing on bones and it wasn't very noticeable at all if one didn't know about it.

I would only be concerned if the overbite would cause issues with eating. As long as her health is not at risk, I would not be bothered by the aesthetics. However, it is very important that this pup not be bred because the faulty bite is a trait that can be passed down.

If the breeder had informed you about the bite fault before you decided to take her anyway, I am not sure you have any recourse. Seems to me that the breeder was upfront on that issue. Just because a breeder's puppy is born with a serious fault, that in of itself does not mean the breeder is a bad breeder. That is unless one of your pup's parents has that defect and the breeder bred the dog anyway. You can always ask the breeder for some of the purchase price back, or ask for another pup. But as I said, I am not sure whether you would be successful since you were informed of the issue.

From the pics you posted, she looks like a normal cutie pie puppy. I hope that she will have a home with you and you will love her no matter what.

Puppy (New Member)

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

jumpoverit`s Photos

Thank you very much for your reply. it means a lot to me. The breeder had told me that there is a chance that a surgery be needed. The veterinarian confirmed that the canines would have to be removed by a "dog dentist". It is a surgery that would cost over 1000$. The breeder said she would take care of it. I am still very concerned.
    Thank you for your suppport. This is a great website for pyrenees lovers
    Sergio

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

I would say you have a very ethical breeder there!! Sounds like she wants to make sure her puppy has a good home.

Make sure you learn as much as you can before agreeing to surgery. Perhaps a second opinion to confirm so that you know you are making the decision best for your puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpoverit View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply. it means a lot to me. The breeder had told me that there is a chance that a surgery be needed. The veterinarian confirmed that the canines would have to be removed by a "dog dentist". It is a surgery that would cost over 1000$. The breeder said she would take care of it. I am still very concerned.
    Thank you for your suppport. This is a great website for pyrenees lovers
    Sergio