Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Molly's Nail Problems

May I present my enigma, Molly:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 10.32.42 PM.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	10343

Molly was diagnosed around a month ago with a nail bed infection after I had noticed that one of her back nails, rather than being cracked, had split itself to openly reveal the quick. She was on antibiotics for the duration of this time as well as having to have her feet soaked and washed in a solution that was meant to help. After we visited the vet two days prior to this post we walked out, free of antibiotics. The vet was confident the infection was gone.

A little over two days later and I've noticed the back nails in particular have resumed a level of soreness that I am positive has been aided and abetted by the cold weather. Two of the quicks are fully exposed on that foot, though they have long since hardened. We are still keeping up with our daily foot washes to fight off any infection that may be trying to fight its way back in with the damp, and in the interim I am seeking out booties to be able to slide onto her back feet for added protection.

We don't go back into the vet until the 25th and I'm hoping that this continued treatment will stymie any bacteria that's trying to seek its way back in. Obviously, if it doesn't I will be seeing the vet a lot sooner but as she is not behaving as though she is in pain (no growling or snarling when I touch her feet or part the pads to get better looks) I have to presume that she is fine. She's also not going crazy licking yet like she was a month ago. By all accounts she is acting fine.

However, the vets at my clinic seem baffled by her "odd feet", in spite of the skin swab we did that revealed that infection. One of them went so far as to state that it appears as though the quicks are detaching themselves from the nails. Doing some research I did chance upon something called SLO (Symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy) and for a while I thought she may have that. The infection, after all, had spread itself to all four paws. However, the only nails that have split are on the one foot thus far and so I'm not confident in that self made diagnosis either.

I suppose, what I'm really after here, is knowledge as to whether or not anyone has experienced such a nail mystery with their great pyrs. The vets at my clinic are doing their best to help Molly (believe it or not, the entirety of this problem began with a snagged dew claw, which lead me to further examination of her feet at home to discover the problem nail, and thus our miniature nightmare began) but any information other pyr owners have on such a thing could be so helpful right now.

Have your pyrs ever had splitting nail problems? Nail problems at all that seem similar to what my poor girl is going through? She's going to be six next month and she can't even enjoy her favourite season at the moment because I can't have her out too long with her feet in such a state. Heck, I'm so paranoid about it that we haven't been walking either and we used to go every single day unless I was under the weather. I just...kind of feel so helpless.

I've never had a dog go through this before -- whatever is going on -- and I'm kind of hoping that I can find answers here; something I'm missing or that I can ask the clinic to look into.

Jewel`s Photos

My only experience with nails splitting is with my best friend's ridgeback. Isis' nails were breaking and splitting and the vet diagnosed it as an autoimmune condition. Isis was put on prednisone to deal with that issue.

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for the reply, Jewel. Any lead to what it could be is helpful 🙂 .