Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Voluminous Barking

I know that barking is an issue with pyrs, and we don't want to stop it entirely, of course, but we would like to lessen it a bit at bad times--like the middle of the night! Any thoughts about how we might accomplish this with our GP? Has anyone had any luck with the high-frequency sound devices like Bark Buddy for example? I do NOT want to go the shock collar route. Any ideas that have helped others? Thanks in advance.

Puppy (New Member)

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Any thoughts about how we might accomplish this with our GP? Has anyone had any luck with the high-frequency sound devices like Bark Buddy for example? I do NOT want to go the shock collar route. Any ideas that have helped others? Thanks in advance.
    We have had lots of similar issues with our 4yo GPmix. We tried a bark collar but the instinct is too strong to do much more than punish them. He barked before he could correct and would get shocked when he yelped from the correction. We have also tried citronella and a high frequency collar with similar results.

What has worked? He now is told "time for bed" at 8 PM and sleeps in my office (a small building next to our house). He immediately quiets down, rarely if ever barks at night, and goes there without any extra effort on our part except opening the door.

During the day, he spends most of his time outside. We can quiet him by looking at him when he is barking and praising him when he stops. He is much much better than he was as a puppy.

I don't know if this is a preferred route of others, but it has worked for us.

Young Dawg (Member)

We live in an area that is a bit secluded and don't have too many outside noises at night, so luckily late-night barking has not been an issue. Sometimes our GP does quite a bit of barking during the day. We let him go for a minute or two if we can't identify a cause, more if we can see or hear what he is barking at. If he keeps it up, we reassure him that he's done a good job, we tell him thank you for letting us know there was danger, and we tell him that he can stop now.