Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Default Princess Jewel had a stroke

Princess Jewel scared the pudding out of us. First she had trouble with her left eye and the vet put her on eye drops. This wa last week. Then Sunday night she was sleeping, got out and staggered around like a drunk person. When she tried to turn right she would go down. Her right rear leg was not working properly. She stated out onto the patio and her right foot didn't clear the sill and she sat down with he leg bent behind hr. I had to help her up. She also seemed a little confused.

Got her to the vet the next day. My vet was out of town, but the on that fills in for him is great.---we live in a little one vet town. Anyway, he had seen he after the dog attack in Feb and he remembered her and how sweet and clam she was. He watched her stagger down the hall, bumping into the wall on the right side, falling when she tried to turn right. He checked her heart, lungs,--they were great. The pulse in her legs was perfect. Her gums nice and pink, and no temperature. I had taken her temp & checked gums the night before. He manipulated her legs, feeling joints--no problem. He was pretty sure she had had a light stroke. He said his dog had had 3, 2 light ones and a hard one and rcovered from all, tho the hard one left her a little lame.

He gave hr a steroid injection and said bring her back the next day, he wanted to see if there was improvement. We could tell improvement in the morning and more by the time we took her in in. She swayed some but didn't stagger. She had caught that foot up again on the sill going out onto the patio that afternoon and sat down on her leg, but was able to get up without my help. He gave her another steroid injection and pred to take one twice a day for 4 days, one once a day for 4 days, and then one very other day for 4 days. She is doing so much better. She doesn't even sway now and no trouble making turns and not hung that foot up going out. But her backend is still weak enough she can't get into the car without help. But we are just thankful she has come as far as she has. I had a light storke Dec. 9, 1017 and in hospital for 4 days and on steroids. Guess that is what it takes.
    Jerry and Moose

Young Dawg (Member)

Oh no! How frightening! How is she doing today?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

So sorry to hear this! I hope she is feeling much much better now!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

Just reading this now. I so hope all is ok.
    See...Pyrs can behave ;-)

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

It has caused her bottom lips to drop in the corners on each side and she drools all the time. We keep boxes of tissues everywhere to clean her mouth. She is still having trouble wither 3rd eyelid covering half of her eyeball part of the time. and I still have to put antibiotic cream in her eyes. She is such a gem and just sits while I put it in her eyes and then massage her closed eyes to spread it around. She just finished her prednisone today. And again, she took those tablets with no problem. She is so wonderful to teat.

She got on the bed this morning, first time she has been able to do that. Her rear is still a little weak, but seems to be improving every day. Her appetite is GREAT. I make a half recipe (human) of oatmeal in the morning and add a tablespoon of organic coconut oil and a tad of raw honey and some milk. She loves it. Then she gets kibble with some of the stew I make for her mixed in. The stew is chicken, cut up apples and sweet potatoes and rice (and sometimes a little barley) boiled together. AND later she gets a can of food. She goes out and rolls and rides her "air bike" afetr eating and lays outside head up, sniffing the wind to see what is going on all around us. We hope the drooling stops or lessens, but if not---we will just kep boxes of tissues everywerhe for hofully several more years.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

Very glad to hear that there are improvements. Sounds like she has great care. Please keep us posted.
    See...Pyrs can behave ;-)