Road Dawg

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Adult Coat coming in?

Hello everyone,

It has been a while since Iíve been on. Life has been busy! I will update Judges thread shortly for those that remember us.

I was wondering if any of you can tell me around what age your Pyrs seemingly dropped their whole young adult coat & traded it for a full fledge adult coat? I ask as this last month Judge has been doing nothing but leaving CLUMPS of hair all over. When he scratches it literally looks as though a fur bomb went off where he is sitting. This is even with weekly (sometimes bi weekly) deshedding tool use. Now I know GPS blow their coAts once/twice a year in prep for the coming seasons but this seems excessive.

I also worry as we have been battling allergies (we think food as we believe itís getting better now that he is on a lamb & rice formula) over the last 6 months. He was covered in hotspots from the base of his neck all down to the base of his tail including his sides & 1 spot on his belly. Those patches have now regrown the undercoat but now itís the rest of his body losing hair! Heís looking pretty raggedy at the moment haha.

Another interesting thing is that all his regrowth is coming in orange (not surprising as he is mixed with a smidge of Kangal) so at the moment heís also undergoing a color change!

Do you think he is just getting his adult coat? Color change normal in mix breeds?

Hereís a picture of his coat at the moment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05727BAB-38B8-4E9D-9852-78301FF8588C.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	10294

Any info you have would be helpful.

Jewel`s Photos

Typically the big coat blow from puppy coat to mature coat occurs at around a year old. What you are describing may be allergy related. When allergies act up, they can drop a lot of coat.

Puppy (New Member)

Former Great Pyrenees Owner

Definitely sounds like allergies, although it could also be excess hair bothering him. The deshedding tool it appears you are using would not reach far enough to pull out the dead hair of the undercoat. This would cause discomfort and for your dog to bite and scratch at his fur/skin (which would also explain why your finding clumps of hair). To effectively remove dead, loose undercoat you specifically need an undercoat rake like this one. Good luck!

Road Dawg

Thank you for the input.

I have increased his weekly Grooming to 3 sessions a week & am using a raking tool just like the 1 you mentioned FURgirl. I have also started adding salmon oil to his food to give him a bit of a boost and am hoping it can help with his coat/skin. Assuming he isnít allergic to it (Iím thinking the allergy is either chicken or wheat but not 100% as we are still trying to figure out what is triggering his allergies).

I will continue to update the thread.