Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Moosey`s Photos

Default New to site desperate for help

Hello guys, I’m new to this site and this is my very first post ever I hope I’m doing this right.

I’ve come here because I need help figuring out what is going on with my dog.
    Moose is my 3 year old Golden Retriever/Pyrenees. I adopted him 3 years ago when he was 6 months old. Starting in February, Moose started scratching himself constantly, giving himself hotspots. I took him to the vet each time to have him treated. Little did I know, this was going to end up far worse. Fast forward to 7 months later, Moose is constantly biting at himself causing open wounds, hot spots, hair loss, and lots of pain. He is completely miserable and in pain at all times. I’m a college student in my last semester, moose and I live in a house where he used to love playing in the yard. We used to travel all over the U.S together because he loves adventure and hikes, and now he has absolutely no interest in anything. He’s a completely different dog and has even become aggressive towards other dogs (except the one he has lived with for years and hes still best friends with my Siamese). Ive spent thousands and have made trip after trip to the vet where he’s prescribed something new every time that never works. Steroids, antibiotics, medicated food, allergy meds, etc. I’m at the point where I have run out of money. I can’t make another $300 trip to the vet. I’ve turned to petsmart for itchy soap to bathe him twice a week, hot spot creams, allergy sprays/pills, etc. I’ve tried everything. Moose has now been in a cone for a week so that he can’t cause anymore injuries on his body. Neither one of us sleep at night anymore, we are constantly stressed, I’m working overtime to help pay for treatments while going to school full time, and I’m absolutely losing my mind. I miss my best friend so much and he’s just always in pain. Has anyone else been through this? Does anybody have any tips? I just don’t know what to do.

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

There are many many potential causes of itchiness. You didn't mention having your guy tested for allergies. If not, it may not be a bad idea to get an allergy panel done. The issue is the test will cost a bit of $$.

Did the vet take a skin scrape to test for mites?

We can break things down and see what option you may have.

First, what food is he being fed right now? What other foods has he been on?

What kind of shampoo have you been using?

Did you make any changes in your living environment back in Feb?

Did steroids work? Did apoquel ?