Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default My rowdy 6 month old pyr is hurting me and I don't know what to do.

Hi all.

I have been the owner of my six month old boy (Pasha) for three great months. I love him to the moon and back. But I am also at my wits end, because he does not respect me. At night, he will get increasingly rough and sassy and just tonight, as I was making him a toy to keep him occupied, he jumped on my back in his excitement and scratched me very badly. If I try to reprimand him, he'll give me these back talk barks and get even more riled up. same reaction from a spray bottle. I'm grateful that he doesnt treat my children or husband this way, but I just don't know what to do. He gets exercised and plenty of attention, his hips are bad, though, so I avoid letting him run too much because he is always in rough shape after. I researched this breed extensively and do the best that I can with positive reinforcement but I just don't know how to keep him from trying to play this way, or behave so insubordinately. I simply cannot allow him to jump on me but I don't know how to make him stop. He really hurt me tonight and my reaction was anger, because I was shocked and in pain. Seeing my reaction just made him more excited. I put him outside and threw the toy out after him.
    I don't want to return him to the farm I adopted him from, I love him and want him to be a part of my family.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b56aeb0ab2b7b8417e1b39ab7cdf999bc9382c05.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	10291
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f045b747546eed4a947539ed216fbcbc0840f4bd.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	10292

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Jewel`s Photos

Hi there, I would say this excitement behavior is a phase. He will grow out of it. Mine went through a period with similar behavior as well so I know it's rather not fun to be the target of the behavior. The behavior where the pup gets more excited when reprimanded is pretty common with pyr pups.

My suggestion is when he jumps, turn to face him and walk into him without raising your voice or pushing with your arms. Both voice and pushing with arms will escalate the excitement.

Also, it might be informative for you to read through the thread below. Sebastian is a very good adult dog now:
    http://www.greatpyr.com/forum/showth...hlight=teenage