Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Pyrenees doesn't trust me?

So I adopted an 8 year old Pyrenees, Sophie, who is super shy and apparently has always been. She had a tough time adjusting in the new house, clawing the door and the knobs but that behaviour has seemed to stopped a couple weeks after settling. They did mention that she has separation anxiety which I already know how to handle since my last dog had it too but she started digging a hole in the middle of our backyard as big as her when we let her out, so when she lays down inside of it we can't see her. We've covered the hole up only to have her dig it back up again, my husband jokes and says she's digging her own grave. She also started snapping at my roommate but I figured it was because she doesn't like her boyfriend as much, the more she spends time with him the more she barks at her. - I should also mention that my roommate has been living with us before I adopted Sophie- She doesn't dig around the fence, and if she does its only to contour to her body but nothing as deep as the one in the middle of the yard. She has always slept in the same room as us but one day I think after my husband caught her on the bed and yelled at her to get down, she has been sleeping in the garage. She begs to be put in there, she destroyed the door to our garage and since then I just let her in. Her appetite has been decreasing which the adoption agency also told us about, that she is a picky eater and doesn't eat as much, but I figured out that she only doesn't eat if she's upset or acting up. She has been gaining weight since she moved in with us but at this rate she's going to lose the weight again. She doesn't want to come inside the house and if she does it's only to go inside the garage, she also hides/sleeps under the shelves in there. My roommate thinks she is nesting but I was told she was fixed. I'm just afraid she doesn't trust us anymore which makes me really sad because I really love her and want the best for her. She has had a tough life before us, she was living on the streets in Texas before getting moved up to Washington and then Oregon and back to Washington again where we live. Maybe she feels as if she might get sent back? Which has happened on multiple occasions due to snapping at other dogs inside the house. She gets along with my small pomeranian mix and my black cat except for when she goes outside. I also have a 7 months old and 3 year old which she does perfectly fine with. If anything she's protective of them. I just don't know what else to do, I've done research and the veterinarian recommends the depression meds which she was on about a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by umira View Post
    So I adopted an 8 year old Pyrenees, Sophie, who is super shy and apparently has always been. She had a tough time adjusting in the new house, clawing the door and the knobs but that behaviour has seemed to stopped a couple weeks after settling. They did mention that she has separation anxiety which I already know how to handle since my last dog had it too but she started digging a hole in the middle of our backyard as big as her when we let her out, so when she lays down inside of it we can't see her. We've covered the hole up only to have her dig it back up again, my husband jokes and says she's digging her own grave. She also started snapping at my roommate but I figured it was because she doesn't like her boyfriend as much, the more she spends time with him the more she barks at her. - I should also mention that my roommate has been living with us before I adopted Sophie- She doesn't dig around the fence, and if she does its only to contour to her body but nothing as deep as the one in the middle of the yard. She has always slept in the same room as us but one day I think after my husband caught her on the bed and yelled at her to get down, she has been sleeping in the garage. She begs to be put in there, she destroyed the door to our garage and since then I just let her in. Her appetite has been decreasing which the adoption agency also told us about, that she is a picky eater and doesn't eat as much, but I figured out that she only doesn't eat if she's upset or acting up. She has been gaining weight since she moved in with us but at this rate she's going to lose the weight again. She doesn't want to come inside the house and if she does it's only to go inside the garage, she also hides/sleeps under the shelves in there. My roommate thinks she is nesting but I was told she was fixed. I'm just afraid she doesn't trust us anymore which makes me really sad because I really love her and want the best for her. She has had a tough life before us, she was living on the streets in Texas before getting moved up to Washington and then Oregon and back to Washington again where we live. Maybe she feels as if she might get sent back? Which has happened on multiple occasions due to snapping at other dogs inside the house. She gets along with my small pomeranian mix and my black cat except for when she goes outside. I also have a 7 months old and 3 year old which she does perfectly fine with. If anything she's protective of them. I just don't know what else to do, I've done research and the veterinarian recommends the depression meds which she was on about a couple years ago.
    You didn't mention how long you have had her...

Puppy (New Member)

I've had her about 4 months

I've had her about 4 months
    When we adopted ours it took a long time for him to adjust. We have had him a year and just within the past few months he finally adjusted. He was very fear aggressive in the beginning attacking our other dog at every chance he got. Learning to read dog signals was the best thing I could do. That in itself was gold. If you don't know how to do that, I'd research it and learn it and find out what your sweet dog is really saying.

As for digging. That's common. They love to dig. Some more than others.

That's great she is good with the children.

Ours will destroy a door by pawing it If he wants somewhere.

Maybe the garage is her safe place? When we first got ours he tried hiding under corners and in his crate. The first few months everything scared him.
    He loves his crate. He knows the routine. These dogs atleast from what I'm learning from ours is huge on routines.
    So maybe the garage has become their routine? Maybe she doesn't like crying children (if yours cry) and feels safe. Ours hated crying children at first. He felt like he needed to attack our other dog. He had no idea why they would make this loud sound and he would go hide. Npw he doesn't care at all.

They do enjoy being outside.

As for food. Ours was picky till I found a food he liked. Have you tried putting wet food on it? The previous owner of ours did that but I discovered he just hated his food.

It's gonna take patience. There are 2 Pyrenees at a rescue near us and they were adopted twice and returned. Poor things. Patience is what it takes to own a Pyrenees! Bless you! Hope I was helpful in some way.

Puppy (New Member)

I thought at fist it could be from my screaming 3 year old but she sleeps through it and ignores, as well as the other pets in the house,they seem to have gotten use to him. The garage thing just started, she was never interested in it before, we have a little cat door for the cat so she could use her litter and for some reason Sophie has ignored it until recently. Others tell me that she could just be hot but to me the garage is the hottest place in the house on certain days.

I've decided to adjust to her, by getting a new door with a pet door big enough for her to go through and placing blankets and in places around the house that seems like her favorite spot. I have tried the wet food, she'll eat it on some days and other days just leaves it all day until she gets hungry.

We did have a routine but she broke that routine.

I can read dog signals pretty well since I grew up with dogs my entire life, form aggressive ones to mellow, I would like to think I read her pretty well but I could also be wrong.

I guess I have to take it slow with her and wait for her true colors shine. I'm not one to return a pet back and I really don't want that for her since she's so old and it has happened to her quite a bit. Thank you for helping me out!

I thought at fist it could be from my screaming 3 year old but she sleeps through it and ignores, as well as the other pets in the house,they seem to have gotten use to him. The garage thing just started, she was never interested in it before, we have a little cat door for the cat so she could use her litter and for some reason Sophie has ignored it until recently. Others tell me that she could just be hot but to me the garage is the hottest place in the house on certain days.

I've decided to adjust to her, by getting a new door with a pet door big enough for her to go through and placing blankets and in places around the house that seems like her favorite spot. I have tried the wet food, she'll eat it on some days and other days just leaves it all day until she gets hungry.

We did have a routine but she broke that routine.

I can read dog signals pretty well since I grew up with dogs my entire life, form aggressive ones to mellow, I would like to think I read her pretty well but I could also be wrong.

I guess I have to take it slow with her and wait for her true colors shine. I'm not one to return a pet back and I really don't want that for her since she's so old and it has happened to her quite a bit. Thank you for helping me out!
    How are things?

With the dog signals for us it was a simple looking out the corner of his eye for literally 2 seconds. Really quick. That was his before I will attack. If you missed literally that glance it was on for fighting with our other dog. So all my attention had to always be focused on what his eyes were doing. We were able to stop it with words eventually by catching that quick glance.