Thread: Meet Bella

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

Default Meet Bella

Guess what I went and did after saying "Never again!" Yup I'm a PyrDad again. An 11 month old full pyr pup. And as soon as I can I will post a pic or two. She is skinny and needs some weight, but that is going to take work. She is a free feeder and My Tank (Boerboel) is a gobbler. She will probably have to be fed in her cell. We'll see.
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.

PyrDad`s Photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15664123592871860649263.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	10267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15664123592871860649263.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	10267
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0202.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	10266  

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

She is beautiful. It looks like she has blond markings like blond badger markings or at least ears. Is this right? Our Princess Jewel has the bond on her head and ears and one blond patch on her lower back. Is she an adopted rescue? All 3 of ours wre. Shaggy was 7 and had been blind his entire life. He was an awesome, smart boy. Sir Moose was 7 1/2 and his ears worked so well, that he always came on first call, moved when told to, sat when told to, etc. And our Princess Jewel turned 10 4 months after we adopted her. All came form the same Pyrenees rescue here in Texas.
    Jerry and Moose

PyrDad`s Photos

Don't know if I can call blonde...I'd say tan or pale brown and grey, with a grey blob on her butt. But if I can't calm Tank (my other dog) down, and get them on the same page she will not be staying. Damn unfortunate.
    My stepdaughter got her from someone west of here still in Ohio, to keep her out of the county pound. She then decided four dogs (three under 2) two cats and a newborn baby were a bit much. She remembers my previous Pyr but not how much work I put in to get the dog they were. So the "Pyr whisperer" got her, at my wife's request.

PyrDad`s Photos

I'm flat amazed at the people that fall for the look of the dogs without researching anything about them or the work required in the first two years or so. My first was a rotty/Pyr "barn find". Had her from 7weeks to 13 years. The second was a full blood I acquired (story here somewhere) at a year old, and had for 8. Both smart as is Bella. One slice of cheese and down/sit both pat without further treats. Just happy to get praise. Just like the first two.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

She's pretty, congrats!

Yeah, several people have told me they adore Max and now want a Pyrenees. I always say "well, research first!" Max works very well for our family. There is someone home most of the time, we are willing to accept his shedding and his stubborn ways, we are able to afford his expenses and work our life around his less-than-stellar aspects (we have dog-proof trashcans and a dinner table protocol, we have gates, we already gave up on owning breakables in our house full of kids and cats, and we are willing to laugh when he randomly decides to destroy a pair of goggles or my daughter's athletics physical paperwork). Yes, he's gorgeous and sweet and low key, yes he adds a level of security to our home. But you get the good with the bad and most suburban households aren't suited for a pyr. And also, while Max is a cuddly dude who never met a stranger, that's not even normal for a pyr so I hope nobody I know ever goes and gets a pyr and expects them to act like Max!

PyrDad`s Photos

Bella is my third Pyr or Pyr mix. She is doing ok with the relocation. She is assimilating fairly well, and Tank is playing more, no it sure if that's good or not. She is about 50 pounds and his last vet visit was 164, which means lots of crashing. As for the shedding, just remember they only she'd twice a year....from January to June and from July to December. Long walks are needed....moreso with males than females. The females tend to stay with the flocks they gaurd and the males patrol the parameters. Stubborn is the wrong word also, it's more of thinking. Unlike many breeds that are bred to obey, pyrs are bred to be independent thinkers. They need us less than we need them. So when you give an order they decided whether it needs to happen. If they come to the decision to do as you wish, take is as high praise from them. Hell, I had a male that from 2-3 years old ran agility courses for 4H, and the "trainers" being unfamiliar with the breed didn't know the honor of him doing what my daughter wanted WITHOUT TREATS. He adored her. They will be a handful until after 18-24 months, at least all mine have been, teething, chewing, nail trimming, and obedience training.