Thread: Great Pyrenees?

Prospective Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Great Pyrenees?

i was just looking at information about this breed of dog and it seems like it is not a popular breed! I mean it seems to me like in order to obtain this breed people may need to travel! I am from Iowa and doesnt seem like the breed is populated well! does anyone else seem to think so too? also does anyone have any other information about this breed? like what does a registered puppy like that run for? thanks for all the help!
    https://restfaq.com/
    Last edited by Qurindato; 08-31-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

They are different, that is for sure. I am 74 and got my first dog for my 11th birthday back in '56, an English Setter puppy. Daddy (uncles, cousins, grandpa) were all quail hunters and had English Setters and or pointers. Daddy had one of each. But I wanted my own. For many years that was the only breed of dog I had. then an Irish Setter kind of fell in my lap and I fell in love with that breed as well. When he died 8 years after I rescued him my older son's girlfriend gave me an Irish Setter puppy. When he was 9 my son got a golden retriever to train as a duck dog and he was great--and I fell in love with goldens. After my 5th I adopted my first Pyr, a 7 year old blind boy who was so smart and awesome. Upon his death I took another 7 year old Pyr and had him til he was 11 1/2. He was different in that he listened to everything came when called every time, etc. He loved everyone especially kids. A few months after we adopted him, we adopted an 11 year old golden retriever and had her almost 2 years. After Sir Moose died this past Dec. zi was not going to get another dog. But glancing thru the ones of adoption--and found Jewel. She was almost 10. We adopted her in Feb. and she turned 10 June 28.

Pyrs are different. Most of the time their ears do not work--unless you are getting a piece of candy or cheese, etc. They are loyal, but do like to roam unless fenced in. And they do bark a lot--They let you know a leaf flutter by the window, an acorn fell on the roof, the garbage truck is on the next street etc. WE have deeply loved all 3 of ours.

There are a lot in this area but are not seen as they are in pastures guarding sheep, goats, cattle, free range chicken. And our rescues are over run with them. People do nto realize how much they bark and when the dog starts to bark a lot, they turn it into a shelter or rescue. And believe it or not, they do not realize how much they shed and get fed with dog everywhere and dump the dog at a shelter or rescue. Or the puppy gets much larger than expected, it is dumped. Or the dog they got to guard their sheep, etc would rather be with people, so they ar dumped. All three of ours came from the Texas Great Pyrenees Rescue. If you are dead serious, read up on them, find out what yuou are getting into and then google and find a Pyrenees rescue up there.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) PyrDad's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

PyrDad`s Photos

Fair warning, if you do get a Pyr, they are wonderful companions. However, they get to you in a very special way and will either be like chips and you will never stop with the first or when the inevitable happens, will break your heart so badly you will never want to look at another. I was the latter....for three years. Oh, here is the odd duck. They smell different than most any dog out there. Not bad, just different, I can walk in a house and smell if they have one
    The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs.