Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Question growling and barking at empty room or hallway

My 1 yro neutered male, Beauregard, has recently begun growling and eventually barking while alone in the dining room (facing the kitchen and doggy door) or in the hallway where he sleeps. If one of the family members comes in, sometimes he will side-eye them and focus the growling on them. He is territorial with our other dog at times. He will also remain growly after he barks at someone walking by our house.

He responds to the command "watch me" and visibly snaps out of it.

Sometimes, I think he is trying to tell us something about the spaces he growls in.... maybe there is a varmint under the house? maybe there is a smell he doesn't like? maybe there is a change in the air pressure in the house?

My questions to this group are: Is this common GP behavior? Is there anything you have done with your dog that helped reduce this behavior?

Puppy (New Member)

When my cat does something similar I just assume he's messing with me. Or just ghosts and other omens of doom.

But it could be some critter. My family's pyr wouldn't stop freaking out about apparently nothing one day. The next day my mother discovered that squirrels had been helping themselves to the little pumpkins in a basket outside and that was what he had been barking towards. I still don't think those pumpkins were worth the noise he made over it but they take barking at intruders to ridiculous heights.

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Sometimes Max barks at his reflection in the front window. We can turn on the study light so the ghost dog disappears to fix that. Sometimes he takes offense that someone is knocking on a neighbor's door, and that won't end until the knocking ends. But sometimes it really seems like he is barking at absolutely nothing. He takes his guarding quite seriously and he won't stop barking just because we say so. The best results come from praising him for his good guarding and telling him we are now well aware and he has certainly scared off the whatever-it-was.