Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Digging and chewing everything in sight. How do you reprimand your pry?

Need advice!!! Iím a new pry mom. I have done a lot of research before I brought my handsome boy home, but heís currently in his terrible 2ís!!! Heís digging in my grass, chewing everything he can get his mouth on, and just bring a terror!! My hubby is losing patience fast. How do you reprimand your pry? Any suggestions of how to stop these behaviors? How long does this stage last? My guy is 9 months old. I buy toys like crazy, and things to chew on. My house looks like I have a toddler running around...lol! PLEASE HELP!!!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

slick61`s Photos

ugh... I remember those days well. My Wiley chewed anything wood in the house... furniture, chair legs, baseboards, you name it. It was worst while he was teething. Rolling up a damp washcloth & freezing it worked as an occasional treat. Spraying Sour Apple/Bitter Yuck on things he chewed repetitively helped some as well. He still likes to chew, tho... so an occasional Bully Stick helps keep that in-check (but they stain his fur... and they kinda stink). As for the digging... it's in their nature. They love to dig... and they're VERY GOOD AT IT! My only suggestion would be to build a big sandbox where they can dig to their heart's content! Wiley is nearly five now, and still loves to dig. On a recent camping trip, the campsite looked like a minefield when we left. He's mostly an "inside dog", but he still tries to dig in my carpet on a daily basis. I've resigned myself to the fact that there just seems to be a certain amount of destruction that goes along with a Pyr. Just keep repeating Sister Antonia's mantra: "patience of a saint, patience of a saint, patience of a saint"...

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you for replying!!! I knew Iím not alone. I think I will get my hubby to build a huge sandbox in the backyard for him to curb his desire to dig. Great idea! Your story of your camping trip made me lol! My guy has pig hoofs, antlers, rawhide bones, you name it he has it to help him chew. Iím hoping heíll get out of the chewing stage in the next few months.

Young Dawg (Member)

One thing that I found with my current puppies is to get marrow bones and when I feed the dogs, give them each one full of sticky wet food that they have to lick out with effort. It keeps them using up the same bones and chewing on them and I like to make sure I have plenty just laying around the yard to reduce any fighting over them and always something for them to easily find when they want to chew. Seems they really like the marrow bones way more than most anything but they do eventually crush them so I probably get new ones to add to the rotation about every 4 - 6 weeks. They are pricey when you first buy them but they hold up really well, usually a month or two of regular use.

I hope that might help some! Mine are also outside all day with lots of room to play so that probably also reduces their need to chew out of bordem and frustration. My previous Gt Pyr would sometimes have to be inside during day for long stretches and I even had to have dry wall repaired but still they are worth it. Really amazing dogs

Good luck!
    Gari

Jewel`s Photos

A designated digging sandbox is definitely a good idea. How much exercise does your boy get everyday? If he's tired out physically it should help to reduce the desire to find things to do inside the house.