Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Hot tempertaures. Please help.

Hi all! I'm new here and I have a question for all of you. Shinook is a 9 month old male that I have had since he was 12 weeks old. We live in Southern California and the summer tempertures do get hot here. At times we can reach 110 degrees. Luckily, we have had somehat of a mild summer so far but, my family and I are getting ready to take a quick vacation to Lake Havasu, Arizona where the temps are currently 110 degrees with no humidity, just dry heat. I do not feel comfortable leaving Shinook at home for 3 days, so I am planning on taking him with us. Our plan is load him on the boat, which we have been having him get in and out of here at the house, and then finding a cove to hang out in for the day. We will have an eazy up for shade and I am going to take lots of fresh water for him to keep him hydrated. When on the boat we will have our shade cover up too. I'm trying to think of everything that I can possibly think of to keep him comfortable. He has not taken any trps to the beach or lake, etc, so I am not quite sure how he's going to react. Can you all provide me some info, ideas, insight, suggestions, etc to help me make his first vacation as stress free as possible.

Puppy (New Member)

I'm recently new here too with my 8 week old Pyr named Bear. I'm in Mississippi where the temps are in the upper 90's to low 100's, and have been every day for the past 6 weeks. We keep a close eye on him when he's outside in the heat. Once he starts panting, we bring him back inside to the air conditioning. Since you won't have that option, can you bring a small fan and a bucket to wet him down? I'm trying to think outside the box. Good luck!

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, there will be no electricity. As far as water the good news is we will be on a lake. We will be beached so he will be able to get wet. Although hes never been to a large body of water before so I have no idea what hes gonna do.

Jewel`s Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Shinook_the_Cali_Floof View Post
    Arizona where the temps are currently 110 degrees with no humidity, just dry heat.
    When it hits 100, it's just plain evil hot, even with low humidity. Are you talking about keeping your pyr out for most of the day in that temperature without AC? If so, I am not going to lie, he is going to suffer. Once they hit heat stress, they are just plain uncomfortable. But I suppose if he is able to jump into the lake, that would help. We are in North Texas and humidity isn't a huge issue. We take our boy out with us all the time. With the temps going up in the high 90's it's really tough on him to have him out for a walk then lunch. He's just wilting. He gets walked in the morning and now we've stopped keeping him out with us after lunch. We drop him off at home and we go back out for errands. It's just too hot.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

I am also in North Texas. 110 degrees is dangerous no matter the humidity level.

If there is any way to board Bear, or have a pet sitter come and stay with him, that is what I would recommend. Heat Stroke is a very real risk at these temperatures. It can come on seemingly suddenly, and kill quickly. There is also a real risk of hot surfaces burning paws.

Before we moved to our current home, Sebastian and Chester would go to boarding at their favorite day care whenever I had to go out of town. Now that we are in our current home, a favorite uncle comes to stay with them when I am gone. In both scenarios, they are sad when I come home because they had so much fun when I was away. Im getting ready to leave for vacation next weekend, and Sebastian is practically packing my bags for me.
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it. Yes, he will have access to the cool lake plus we are going to put the easy up up. I plan on paying very close attention to him. If I see him panting harder than normal I will take him back to the AC. Thank you for your comment!