Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default People always asking why Moose is so small and itís driving me nuts!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2490EEC5-59B7-4FDD-B7F7-F983AED45FA2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	10254
    Moose just turned 1 year old and is 75 lbs and 27 inches at the withers. Very handsome dog but everyone is always SHOCKED when I tell them he is pure pyr. Asking if Iím sure and why is he so small. Itís driving me insane! His dad was very large, 145 lbs at 18 months, mom was average at 110 at 18 months. Why is Moose so small? Is there still a chance he will hit an appropriate size for the breed so that people stop making these annoying comments?

Jewel`s Photos

Pyrs vary greatly in size. By breed standards, males can be from 27" to 32". But what you see out there is males are anywhere from 25" to 32". At 27", your boy is right in the average range.

As to weight, when people tell me their dog is 145lbs, I am usually skeptical that the dog should be 145 lbs. I see plenty of pyrs that should not be carrying as much weight as they do. That number on the scale may be high, but it is not necessarily good news.

So long as your pup is in good body condition, not emaciated, that is the important thing. He will continue to grow, just much more slowly, for the next 2 years.

Mine is nearly 3. He's 28" and at best 90 lbs. He carries a pretty fully coat so many people assume he is well over 100 lbs. At a year old he was about 80 lbs.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

I agree, they come in all sizes. I belong to a pyr group on FB and this same thing came up a few days ago. And many said the same thing as belong--Pyrs vary in height and weight. And I sometimes wonder if some do not "fudge" the weight to make their dog sound much bigger. My Sir Moose was 115 at his heaviest, and needed to drop 5 pounds. We have a female now and her last weigh in was 80 pounds. she is 10 and was on the show circuit for several years. I had a golden retriever (male) that was 95 pounds and thinnish, another male at 65. AND they were full brothers, but different litters. Don't get upset with people who think they kinow it all. You boy is beautiful and sweet and that is the most important thing.
    Jerry and Moose

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

you can always reply....he may look small...but he's mighty!

Rudy was/is the same way...I count myself lucky. He's in great shape for a 7 yr. old....lean & healthy
    last weight in February was 80 pounds....I do not force him to eat more than he wants, and in the heat of this summer, he doesn't eat more than 1/2 cup kibble in the morning & 1 cup in the evening (yes...I am guilty of putting chicken or what ever left over we might have on his food)

this was right after his grooming session this past May

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudy #1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	10255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rudy #3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	10256

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Your Rudy is so handsome.
    Jerry and Moose