I have 2 Great Pyrenees. Prompto (2yrs) from a local breeder who raises them strictly as livestock guardians, and Beau (3yrs) a rescue with horrible hip dysplasia who follows the other around like theyre attached at the hip. Prompto was around horses when he was younger and born around sheep, alpaca, etc. but hes mostly a guardian for our other animals and the many dogs that we always end up pet sitting. Lately, he has been getting out of the property. Over the past week I have ran a 2 foot extension on top of the 4ft fence that hes recently began hopping. I have cut up horse fencing and buried it under ground in the L shape suggested by many owners to stop dogs from digging out. We have 2 acres to do this on and I have gotten about 1200ft done so far. He is spending his nights in the backyard but has broken the gate and opened it up twice now. The other one follows right behind him - his hips are suffering for it.

Im at a loss. No matter what I do, it seems like hes adamant about leaving. I have had him since he was 2 months old and this is the first time hes been like this. Giving him up would break my heart (and my life isnt going to well at the moment regardless) but I have to seriously ask myself and all of you, if I should consider re-homing him somewhere where he can be with livestock or have more room. Im torn between emptying my bank account dog proofing my parents property and wondering if Im being selfish by not giving him the life he deserves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.