Hybrid View

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Sasha is my pyr's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Barking barking who's at the door

Hey all. Been a while since I've been on line. Couldn't access my account and then just forgot. But...here I am again. Sasha is doing well, got her own weirdisms which always makes us laugh.

Any ideas as to how I can get her to not go absolutely nuts when someone comes to our door or is this something that it is what it is? Thanks in advance.
    See...Pyrs can behave ;-)

Puppy (New Member)

An important part of a Great Pyrenees’ nature is that they guard everything within their domaine. Your Pyr guarding your house is something that you should encourage, but certainly within limits. Barking is one thing; going absolutely nuts is another.

I’m a big fan of YouTube videos, and if you go out to YouTube and search on “how to stop a dog barking at the door”, you will find hundreds of step-by-step videos that address the issue. YouTube will be a good starting point in helping your dog get past this problem. Be patient, as this training may take some time. Be sure to reward your pup for a job well done.

Good luck!

I'm very fine with the guarding, I would just like to get her to settle down once I've opened the door.

Puppy (New Member)

The videos will help with that too.

I will check them out.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog flag.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	10250

you could try this!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

When I’m expecting someone to come to the door, I will Leash my two up a few minutes before hand, and take them out front so that they can greet the guest/s outside, and we can all come in together.
    When I have a surprise visitor at the door, I Leash up the dogs and have them sit before opening the door. I have to leash my two because Sebastian wants to bolt and hitch a ride to one of the wealthy neighborhoods. Chester is deputy dog and will follow his big brother off of a cliff.
    To deal with general barkiness, I tend to have three methods. The LEAST effective one is telling Sebastian to “shut it”. That one almost never works. The two effective methods I use are either going to the window to check out the potential threat and thanking Sebastian for letting me know, OR redirecting Sebastian by having him sit calmly for a treat. I keep treat jars strategically placed around the house, and if he seems to be barky for no particular reason, I will get a treat and ask him what Mommy has. This usually gets his attention. When he comes to me and sits politely, he gets the treat. By that point, he has forgotten all about barking, and is 100% focused on treats.

We were recently displaced from our home for 10 days due to storm damage, and had to spend two of those nights at the La Quinta down the street from us. Sebastian and Chester ate a lot of “Please Stop Barking So We Don’t Have to Sleep in the Tiny Car” treats. The good news is that we didn’t get kicked out of the hotel due to barking (or anything else).

It takes some time and consistency, but bark management can happen!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Quote Originally Posted by SebastiansMom View Post
    When I’m expecting someone to come to the door, I will Leash my two up a few minutes before hand, and take them out front so that they can greet the guest/s outside, and we can all come in together.
    When I have a surprise visitor at the door, I Leash up the dogs and have them sit before opening the door. I have to leash my two because Sebastian wants to bolt and hitch a ride to one of the wealthy neighborhoods. Chester is deputy dog and will follow his big brother off of a cliff.
    To deal with general barkiness, I tend to have three methods. The LEAST effective one is telling Sebastian to “shut it”. That one almost never works. The two effective methods I use are either going to the window to check out the potential threat and thanking Sebastian for letting me know, OR redirecting Sebastian by having him sit calmly for a treat. I keep treat jars strategically placed around the house, and if he seems to be barky for no particular reason, I will get a treat and ask him what Mommy has. This usually gets his attention. When he comes to me and sits politely, he gets the treat. By that point, he has forgotten all about barking, and is 100% focused on treats.

We were recently displaced from our home for 10 days due to storm damage, and had to spend two of those nights at the La Quinta down the street from us. Sebastian and Chester ate a lot of “Please Stop Barking So We Don’t Have to Sleep in the Tiny Car” treats. The good news is that we didn’t get kicked out of the hotel due to barking (or anything else).

It takes some time and consistency, but bark management can happen!
    You are soo right about the shut it not working. I think the treats would work best with Sasha. I can get her to sit at the top of the stairs but she gets so excited her whole body shakes.