Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default Fencing Recommendations?

New here! We have two pet 2(ish) year old pyrs - male & female. Our male definitely likes to roam & chase deer when he gets the opportunity, the girl is new to us. I'm sure she will want to run once she is feeling more secure with us. We would like to fence in part of our yard to make a play area for them. Has anyone had experience or success using metal mesh deer fencing? I've seen this marketed as dog fencing. We live in a wooded area and would like to keep our pyrs in and the deer out. If you live in an area with lots of deer, please tell us what has worked for you. I'm worried they will be highly motivated to scale lower fences, but I'm not sure this type of fencing is strong enough to contain them safely. Thanks for any advice you can offer. We are building this fence ourselves and have trees, rocks, and uneven terrain to deal with.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Antonia's Avatar

Antonia`s Photos

I can't answer your questions directly since I'm not familiar with the deer fencing you describe but recently installed fence for our new dog yards. We used no-climb horse mesh fence with cemented posts and angle braces at the corners and gates and t-post in the line between. We chose 6' tall fencing because my youngest girl is a climber and I didn't want to have to worry about that. Dogs will jump up on fencing if they are trying to get out or if they feel there is a serious enough threat they wish to pursue. It is way easier to contain them well the first time rather than try to keep them contained after they have learned they can escape... If the deer fencing is strong and you can get it at least 5' high, it might work. Maybe someone in your area locally, like a feed store, could say about how well the fencing would hold up for large dogs? Good luck and hope you can find something that will work! You are doing a great job to keep them contained and safe!

Old Dawg (Senior Member)

Does your deer fencing have a top and bottom rigid support? Around here, a lot of the deer fencing does not. We have a gate in the house that is flexible, and it took very little time for Max to learn that he could just go under. When we built our pool, he once decided he needed past the temporary fencing and just went through it to get to the empty pool (but ignored the temp fencing across the hole at the back of the fence, thank goodness). He has learned to unlatch most types of baby gates as well as the standard iron gate latch. Oddly, Max respects a 3 foot iron fence that he can see over as long as the latch is secure. And he is ridiculously bad at climbing and jumping. But if he needed to be outside untended, I wouldn't trust a fence unless it had a rigid top and bottom.