Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Unhappy Our rescue Great Pyr is not yet eating or drinking

We just rescued an 18 month old Great Pyrenees - she was in foster care in TN prior to being trucked up to us in CT 2 1/2 days ago. On day one, she drank a good amount of water but yesterday and this morning she hasn't had very much to drink. She also hasn't eaten yet. Her foster mom said she loves watermelon so we tried that to try and hydrate her but she won't eat it. She hasn't relieved herself in about 18 hours despite many walks outside. Is this normal for a rescued Great Pyr or should we worry? She has her first vet appointment tomorrow night but she appears to be in very good health. Despite not eating or drinking, she doesn't seem lethargic and has been very cuddly with the family and doesn't seem to lack energy on her walks.

Jewel`s Photos

It isn't that unusual. A breeder friend rehomed one of her dogs and that dog didn't eat for an entire week. The new owners tried everything, including a juicy steak, and he just wasn't interested. But he started eating after a week. But for sure ask the vet if she seems ok.

Puppy (New Member)

Thank you. I've heard they can be picky eaters. She ate a little last night thankfully and drank some water (but not much). We're taking her to the vet today to have her checked out to make sure she is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by My_Pyrenees View Post
    Thank you. I've heard they can be picky eaters. She ate a little last night thankfully and drank some water (but not much). We're taking her to the vet today to have her checked out to make sure she is okay.
    We adopted our guy when he was about a year old. He rarely ate much for a few weeks actually. He would drink very little and he didn't urinate for the first 24 hours. I did find in the beginning he needed the same place to go. Then he finally started going. It's gonna take some time. Have fun with your new one!!