Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Flock Guardian (Moderator) Terry's Avatar

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Winter is one cool looking little pup new.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Winter is one cool looking little pup new.
    Thanks Terry, she's really amazing and my whole family is crazy about her

As per Slick61's suggestions , I took Winter for Petsmart bath/nail trim, I loved them as the groomer also brushed her teeth and trimmed her hair near her private parts so she doesn't get dirty often. She was so gentle with her and Winter loved the visit. She's a true Diva I've already scheduled her next month visit, thanks Slick61.

I'm still struggling with her nipping but trying to keep my patience while dealing with it. Tried peanut butter method and it worked for couple of hours but she's back to her earlier self again and the method was messy as well I hope this phase gets over soon. I don't know why I feel she understands me but keeps testing me to figure out my threshold. Maybe I'm overthinking too much

Puppy (New Member)

Default Updates??

Quote Originally Posted by new View Post
    Thank you for your wonderful suggestions @jewel and @slick61, I'm going to use all of it for her potty training and nipping.

So for the past couple of days I can see Winter is more active and tries to nip with her lips up. Is it something to be concerned of? I usually play tug of war with her heavy duty leash as its one of her favorite game with me. She even jumps and tries to chew on it. Today after playing she lied down on the grass and when I tried to pet her, she kind of snapped at me trying to nip my hand with her lips up and tail down (no wagging). Usually when she's hyper and tries to nip, she calms down when we say "No biting" but it wasn't like that today. Then at home when I was trying to clean her ears, she tried again. She's doing the same with my kids as well. Is it some sort of aggressive behavior or normal with puppies?

I took her to vet this Thursday for her booster shots and she looked in her ears and did a physical and Winter is fine with no issues so I don't think her snapping is due to some medical reasons. Am I doing something wrong in raising her?

Thanks for all your help and support.

Can I get an update on your situation?
    My baby is 11 weeks old, and Im going through the same thing with the over excited nipping of my kids and me (more them though, they are 9 and 12). Everyone keeps telling me "it gets better" and id like to hear it from someone who actually owns a pyr lol
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LinksMom View Post
    Can I get an update on your situation?
    My baby is 11 weeks old, and Im going through the same thing with the over excited nipping of my kids and me (more them though, they are 9 and 12). Everyone keeps telling me "it gets better" and id like to hear it from someone who actually owns a pyr lol
    Thanks!
    It def gets better with time. My Winter is now 21 weeks and her nipping has almost stopped. She still nips sometimes when she's over excited but that's like once every 3-4 days. I was so worried about her nipping earlier that I started thinking she had some behavioral issues but it suddenly stopped when she was like 16-17 weeks. We did train her a lot and taught her "No biting", whole family was pretty firm that they used the same word and stopped playing when she nipped.

We're still working on her jumping when she meets new people but other than that she's the perfect dog our family needed. She's playful but super smart and we love her a ton!
    Here are some of her pics in all her cuteness (I'm one of those crazy pyr mom who never misses a chance to share her pup's pics )
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4692.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	10318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4353.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	10317

Young Dawg (Member)

It is remarkable how nippy they are as puppies - caused a lot of anxiety for my husband and I! The “sweet kisses” method worked well for us. Anytime she would nip or mouth, instead of yelling NO we’d say firmly but calmly, “sweet kisses,” disengage/remove our attention or cease play, and when she’d calm we would re-engage. To this day, if she gets overly excited (occasionally happens as an 11 month old) we say “sweet kisses” and she immediately calms down.

Our sweet Arti is an incredible dog! My husband is still amazed every day at what a good girl she has become. It gets better!