Current Great Pyrenees Owner

lattelove`s Photos

Default How much food and what container to keep it in when boarding?

We are planning a lengthy vacation in July, and we will be boarding Latte for 16 days. What does everyone put their dog's food in when boarding? Is there a good formula for determining what size container for the number of cups she eats per day? She eats about 4.5-5 cups per day, so I'll estimate 80 cups for the time she will be boarded. I saw a couple of estimates that there are approximately 4 cups of dry food per pound. Does this sound right from your experience? When you have to send a large amount of food to a kennel, do you just send a whole large bag of food, or do you have a large plastic storage container that you use? What size container do you think would work?

Old Dawg (Senior Member) SebastiansMom's Avatar

When I used to board Sebastian, and then Sebastian and Chester, I would just take a new bag of food with them to the facility. That way, if there were some sort of delay in me getting back, there would be no question whether or not the boys had enough food to tide them over.

Of course, back in 2001, I was living in New Orleans, and had a flight home out of JFK (New York City) scheduled for the afternoon of 9/11. It took me four full days to get home. So, yeah, I tend to overplan.

Hope you have a great vacation!
    Sebastian is on Facebook!
    www.facebook.com/SirSaintSebastian

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

I would tend to over plan.....as SM says...one never knows how plans may change...you may even be back early!

Ii would call the facility & ask if they would like to have her food in some type of container, and then determine how large of one you might need.

Have a fabulous vacation!

Old Dawg (Senior Member) Shaggys Mom's Avatar

Ingleside, Texas, United States of America

Our vet has a wonderful boarding area and when we have had to board dog, it.they were always boarded there. We never boarded more than 3-4 days tops and I would measure out their food and put in gallon zip bags with their names on them. One bag for each dog for each meal. that worked out great for us. Also, I cut back a tad on the food as they would get some exercise each day, but not the extent of being free in our yard. We only ever left a dog in a regular boarding kennel once and I took his bag of food--andthis was some 35 years ago. He was onlyu there 3 days and didn't eat. Was my Irish Setter. AND he was on daily heart worm prevention pills and they did not givethem to him. I was so mad.
    Jerry and Moose