Puppy (New Member)

Current Great Pyrenees Owner

Default New To The Forum, Ready To Help With Herd/Farm Training

We purchased our farm three years ago, and began building our Boer goat herd for breeding. We wanted the ideal guardian dog breed for our needs, and so we began searching websites and reading forums, while being scared to pieces by the horror stories we read about people trying to train great pyrenees - how stubborn they are, the barking, the pawing, the rough-housing, not listening, escaping fences and other 'bad dog' stories...

We decided to actually go see a great pyr breeder in southwest Virginia, and we were glad we did, because that is the first thing you need to do when looking for the best livestock guardian dog. A good breeder, who breeds them for the purpose they are intended, will have the puppies already interacting with a herd, usually goats or chickens. They are already learning from 'momma' dog. They will have a little room to roam and play, and follow the herd and freely inspect them, but under the watchful eye of the breeder.

Today, a year and a half after that visit, we know we have done the best thing for the dogs, our goats and our farm. We could not manage the herd without our two Great Pyrenees livestock guardians.

So with that introduction, we'd like to help here on this forum, and share our own experiences, pictures and ideas in livestock guardian training, adapting to a herd, keeping the dogs happy, and having them as a vital part of our farm operation.

Also, if you're ever passing through our area, we can set up an appointment for you to see the dogs actually working.

Old Dawg (Senior Member) nick's spirit's Avatar

Welcome Dakota & Lakota...oh & you too Buckhorn!!!

wow!!! someone who actually did their homework & got the workers that they needed...your experience & knowledge will come in handy her I'm sure...tho most of us have companion dogs...there are sometimes questions regarding a working LGD that we have little or no knowledge to pass on...

I love your sign!!!

Nancy & Rudy

Puppy (New Member)

Thanks, Nancy & Rudy, hope we can be of some help to new GP owners with their livestock guardian training questions. As I look out the upstairs window of our farmhouse, I see the goat herd, a few acres away, with one dog lying in the middle of the herd, and the other patrolling the fence rows... I can sit here and eat my lunch in peace, no worries, that my livestock is being well-looked after.
    Thanks again for the warm welcome, come visit us if you ever get to the east coast. - Buckhorn Pasture Farm

Puppy (New Member)

It's an awesome decision to train on LGD

Puppy (New Member)

Nice.
    The only livestock we have are chickens, and Zeus hadn't grown up around chickens so we're not sure what he would do. I walked him by the chicken run today and a few chickens had actually been out and he ignored them. But he was also very interested in some fascinating smell in the grass (woodchuck or rabbit) so I don't know if he even noticed the chickens being there.
    Having him actually guarding the flock seems like too much to hope for.